Upper eyelid surgery post op day 21: My scar is lumpy (Photo)

I've done upper eyelid surgery 3week ago. My scars are lumpy. And I have a cyst?? What is it??? So worry about it.

Upper eyelid surgery post op day 21: My scar is lumpy

+2
Appears to be with in normal as for healing phase after this operation. Best to be seen by your surgeon in follow up/// 

Healing after upper lid lift

+2
  • Your scar is normal - at this stage it will be pink and firm.
  • Eyelid skin tends to form cysts - and they will form around fragments of sutures too.
  • Your cysts is clearly defined - unless it is subsiding, it may need minor surgery to remove it.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Lumpy eyelid scar

+2
3 weeks postop is still very early in your recovery. At this stage, it is not unusual to have some redness, lumpiness and unevenness in the scar. A lot of this settles in the coming weeks. Gentle massage will also help, but just give it time.

Roy Ng, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Lumpy upper eyelid scar

+2
At 3 weeks it is very common to have some irregularities to the scar.  There are often buried stitches which haven't absorbed yet which can create small lumps.  Or some patients form small inclusion or sebaceous cysts.  Many of these things will resolve on their own over the next few weeks.  I have some patient do some gentle massage over the wound which can help flatten it out.        

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

At this stage of things it is most likely to be inflammatory.

+2
So many little issues get better by 2 months after surgery and this is probably one of them.  Things that do develop into inclusion cysts slowly expand and become much better define.  Generally once they are very well defined, they are much easier to remove.  At this stage it is hard to know what will go away on its own and what won't.  Rather than unnecessarily messing with the eyelid, I think more time to heal is the way to go.

Lumpy Scars

+2
More often then not patients will feel some bumpiness along the incisions with the largest lump or knot at the end of the incision.  These little bumps occur between the suture passes and are worse at 2-6 weeks.  I try to let patients know to expect this during their preoperative appointment with me.  This sense of bumpiness and the slight redness of the incisions do resolve over a few months.  Very normal.
Occasionally, a small white cyst can form in the incision line.  If it does not resolve it can easily be excised.

Sean M. Blaydon, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

+2
It is still too early to judge your outcome. This can be a simple swelling that will settle with time.
You may need to massage it gently.
Best to work with your surgeon and adhere to your follow ups.

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS