Can a 74-year-old with High Blood Pressure Have Eyelid Surgery?

Upper eyelid surgery for the people of age 74 and with high blood pressure is possible? My dad has got right eyelid drooping problem since he was suffered from terrible headache due to high blood pressure and he still has high pressure and has been taking tablet his right eye is completly closed and can't blink so I am thinking to have a surgery

Absolutely

+2

The first step in the UK is to have him referred by his primary care physician to an oculoplastic consultant or a general ophthalmologist who will refer him on to an oculoplastic surgeon.  There are one or two fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeons in every major city.  They will assess your dad and determine what type of surgery he will need.  The next step is that surgeon will get your dad ready for surgery by making sure that his blood pressure is adequately controlled.  This type of coordination is routine.  Care in the UK is somewhat rationed so making this type of elective surgery happen can take some work to get going.

High blood pressure and hypertensio in a patient of "a certain age"

+2

The incedence of hypertension (htn.) in the U.S. population is high and getting higer each year. There is a big difference between controlled and uncontrolled htn. In my hands, and in other boarded  Plastic  Surgeons, individuals of your age who are managed and cleared for surgery by their internest have done very well.

Additionally ther are several drugs that can control htn. if it should occur intraoperativly

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery and Hypertension

+1

Yes it is possible to have eyelid  surgery with a history of hypertension as long as the hypertension is well controlled. Usually, I asked patients to see their medical doctor for “clearance” prior to surgery. The family practitioner/internist may have suggestions for peri-operative  management.

One of the concerns with hypertension and facial surgery is the increase potential for bleeding  around the time of surgery. Limiting activity/stress and keeping the head elevated maybe helpful postoperatively in avoiding complications. 

A 74 year-old patient with high blood pressure can have surgery

+1

A 74 year-old patient with high blood pressure can have surgery. The important thing is to make sure their high blood pressure is being controlled. Patients with high blood pressure generally want to take their appropriate medications the morning of the surgery. But, each surgeon will tell the patient what they should or shouldn’t do.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blood presure and eyelid surgery

+1

The most important step is to have your blood pressure under control by optimizing your medication with your primary physician. Once the blood pressure is stabilized the most that you can, then the procedure should have less incidence of problems.

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery and hypertension

+1

It is possible that upper eyelid surgery can be performed on someone with high blood pressure. The procedure is less risky and I would recommend having it done under local anesthesia to avoid further blood pressure elevations. Also, to minimize the risks of bleeding and bruising, I would make sure that the blood pressure is under control first on the appropriate medications. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery with High Blood Pressure

+1

For any kind of surgery, especially elective surgery, you really need to be medially maximized.  This includes having controlled blood pressure.  You should work with your doctor to maximize your blood pressure medications prior to considering surgery.  One risk with with uncontrolled blood pressure and surgery is bleeding.  This would be an unfortunate complication for an elective operation.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD