I Had Upper Eyelid Surgery 4 Days Ago and There Has Been Swelling by my Cheekbones...is This Normal?

How long will it take to go away? It's making my face look like my cheekbones are sunken in.

Swelling in cheekbone area 4 days after upper blepharoplasty

+1

Swelling in this area is common after eyelid surgery.  We have our patients use ice for the first few days.  We also have them try and keep their head elevated at 30 degrees for the first week to help the swelling.  Keep in contact with your surgeon and let him/her know about your progess.

Swelling after eyelid surgery

+1

In my experience visible swelling after eyelid surgery is universal and normal and often extends into the cheeks; It usually lasts for 1 to 2 weeks and gradually resolves. It rarely causes the lids to close and is rarely very painful. Ice does not usually help after 2 days. Infection can increase the swelling. Elevation of the head helps reduce it even after a few weeks. 

Check with your doctor if you are concerned that the swelling is abnormal.

C. Dennis Bucko, MD

Healing after eyelid sugery

+1

healing after eyelid sugery:

• see my other posts on this subject
  • swelling can extend down the face
  • ice and time should make this better
  • one to two weeks is typical
  • allergies can cause swelling as well

Swelling after upper eyelid surgery

+1

Swelling over the cheekbones and even down into the midface and cheek is fairly common after upper eyelid surgery.  This usually resolves within one to two weeks.  If there is concern over excessive or progressing swelling you should see your operating surgeon to further evaluate.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after eye surgery

+1

Because gravity will make the fluid or swelling that would form in your eyelids move downward, it is not uncommon to have cheek swelling after an upper eyelid surgery. It will go down in time.

Julio Garcia, MD

Cheek swelling after upper eyelid surgery

+1

Depending on the extent of dissection and skin redundancy, it is not unusual to have swelling and bruising to the level of the cheek bones especially the first 7-10 days after upper eyelid surgery. Keep your head elevated. Avoid strenuous physical activity and continue to communicate closely with your surgeon if your swelling has not improved by 10 days. Complete resolution of post-op swelling may take up to 4 weeks depending on the patient's age, over all health and medical as well as the extent of soft tissue dissection during the surgery.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed Eyelid Surgery for over 20 years and it's not unusual to have some swelling of the eyes and cheek areas after an Eyelid Surgery.  It should slowly resolve in the coming days.  As always, it's best to ask the surgeon that did your Eyelid Surgery this questions for specific recommendations.

Swelling After an Upper Eyelid Lift

+1

Upper eyelid surgery can produce some swelling in the cheek area.  This may be normal.  Allow 10-14 days for the bulk of the swelling to go away.  It may 3 month before all the swelling has resolved.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Absolutely normal

+1

Yes. This is not unusual at all. The eyelid skin is quite thin and edema [fluid/swelling] and bruising will track around down to the lower lid and cheek due to gravity effects. Be patient and within a week or so it should be resolved.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon