How Do I Know for Sure my Upper-eyelid Surgery Was Done Correctly?

Hi- I had surgery 4 weeks ago,and my scars are still red,and I have milia( my surgeon said to just wait and it will go away). He told me that we could try laser, but I need to wait 4 more weeks. More of a concern to me is that the eyelids still have excess skin especially at the corners. My PS said that I still have time to heal yet, but I may be asking for something that would need to be addressed with another surgery. I would have thought that would have been discussed prior to any surgery.

Upper eyelid surgery recovery time & excess skin

+3

Hi Tina 7131965,

Four weeks is still early after eyelid surgery to judge results. While most of the healing occurs within the first month, the skin and tissue continues to heal and improve slowly over time. Lastly, persistent excess skin after upper blepharoplasty can always be treated with minor revision, if needed. It's generally much better to take too little skin with the original procedure, rather than too much skin with eyelid surgery. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

4 Weeks is Too Early To Decide about Revision Eyelid Surgery....

+2

You should wait until the redness from the surgical incisions have settled down.  Some surgeons try to get a good result with eyelid surgery alone when actually a brow lift is required at the same time.  What sometimes happens in those cases is that the skin scar is kept short to make it acceptable, but then this results in a 'standing cone'-- a cone shaped bunch of tissue at the end of the scar.

Sometimes, when the scar shrinks this will improve with time.  However, if it is large then a revision may be necessary.  It is much better to have the correct surgery done in the first instance, and in my experience I don't usually see any "excess skin at the corners."  I refuse to do eyelid surgery alone if I think that a browlift should be done at the same time.  I reported my results at the annual meeting of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery in Toronto in 2010.

Claudio DeLorenzi MD FRCS  

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

You will know in 3 months if you have a good blepharoplasty result.

+2

Hi.

The best approach is to realize that what is done , is done. Wait.  The result may improve.  If you are not happy in a few months, you may have to consider a revision.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

It is true that things do get better in time.

+2

Malcom Gladwell in his brilliant book Blink describes the process of "thin slicing."  This is a profound piece of emotional radar that allows us to size up the truth of a situation in milliseconds.  Real problems come when we ignore those feelings.  It is true that all surgery gets better in time.  Your unease mostly likely arises from the reality that your surgeon in some subtle way is communicating his uncertainty about your outcome.  While time does heal almost all issues, many things do not get better.  From what you are describing and from your time frame, I think you should allow things to settle down more and let your surgeon address the issues that don't.  If your feelings for your surgeon don't improve, or you find that your confidence in him or her is insufficient to trust that they can remedy your concerns, you may need to consider getting a second opinion if only to confirm that the advice that is being given to you is reliable.

Eye lid surgery results

+2

Following any procedure there is always a period of healing.  For your situation the incisions will need about three months to see what the final result will be.  There may need to be some revision or you may need a different procedure to get the final result you want.  Discuss things openly with your surgeon and make sure the procedure is well healed before trying to "fix" it.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Healing after Upper Lid Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery)

+2

I am not sure what was and wasn't reviewed prior to your surgery, however, it does take time for things to settle down after an upper eyelid surgery.  There is often swelling of the lid (both above and beneath the incision line), as well as numbness in the central portion of the lid (you may noticr when you go to wear mascara), reddness of the incision, as well as the possibility of milia forming.  These milia go away without intervention in over 90% of the cases where they exist at all.  They can be remedied very easily so this is not a reason to panic.

More importanty, we often see patients have a difficult time with depression and many questions.  This is normal when it occurs, but don't let it get the best of you.

If you have questions, ask your plastic surgeon.  They have nothing to gain by telling you something that is not true.  You will need to have some confidence and trust in him/her. 

An upper blepharoplasty is a fantastic procedure and you should expect great results.  Hang in there for another month or so and you should see things improve.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

+2

Eyelid anatomy is a complex and dynamic interaction of skin, muscle, fat and bone, as well as your baseline normal genetic and developmental features. There is no "correct" method of blepharoplasty. Your surgery should take all of the components into consideration. Four weeks may still be a little early and milia is a common side effect that is easily handled without laser. The excess skin at the corners is not uncommon if the lateral brow (lateral hooding effect) is not appreciated or addressed. It can also be a function of the dynamic nature of the brow and eyelid or the quality/elasticity of the skin itself. Because the eye and brow move up and down, you need some "excess" skin when your eyes are open in order for them to close completely.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Healing after Blepharoplasty

+1

In the initial healing phase (which takes several weeks if not months) the scars from any surgery will appear red, uneven and raised. The eyelid is no different. Patience is of prime importance, because rushing in to try to speed up this natural process can only lead to worse results. Even the hanging areas may improve, since at this point you still also have swelling.

Upper eyelid blepharoplasty is an operation not unlike trying to improve the appearance of drapes that have sagged due to bowing of the drapery rod by taking up the hems! This can improve the appearance, but doesn't address the problem of the curtain rod. The sagging problem may be best addressed with a brow lift, or with restoration of volume to the eyebrow/temporal areas. This could be what your surgeon is thinking about for later on.

Verne Weisberg, MD

Upper-eyelid Surgery Done Correctly

+1

You did not post ANY photos! So very hard to discuss. It is still early in the postoperative healing phase, but I hear your concerns. You can obtain a second opinion if you like. But I bet within a few weeks things will settle. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Milia and excess skin after blepharoplasty

+1

Milia can be unroofed but often goes away on its own.  As for the excess skin, it is too early to tell, it may just be swelling.  Sometimes lateral fullness is actually brow descent that needs to be lifted.