Had Upper Eyelid Surgery 31/2 Weeks Ago. I Have Ptosis. Will This Go Away on Its Own?

is ptosis after surgery a permanant condition fixed only after another surgery, or will this get better with time?

Ptosis

+1

Your photo does not offer any information regarding the possiblity of ptosis. Most commonly patients do not notice it before surgery even though they may have had it. 

Ptosis is not to be expected after upper eye lid surgery.

+1

Ptosis of the upper eye lid is sometimes present but unnoticed if it is mild and there is excess skin to blame the appearance on. Correcting the skin excess then may reveal the preexisting problem however the surgeon should have noticed the ptosis in advance and discussed it with you. If the ptosis is totally new then I'd expect you to need more surgery to fix it............ the muscle that elevates the eye lid or its tendon/aponeurosis attachment may have been cut and, if so, needs fixing. I'm assuming that no Botox was used in the vicinity at the same time as the surgery.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis after eyelid surgery

+1

You need to wait a little longer before one decide what residual ptosis is present.  I recommend a consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Why you think you have ptosis

+1

Your picture is not helpful and you need to send picture while looking straight. Ptosis is very unusual post the upper eyelid surgery unless there were ptosis before surgery and was not diagnosed. Pleas send set of pictures .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

+1

Was there any ptosis before surgery?  If not, 3 1/2 weeks is too soon to tell if the eyelid will get better or not.  Usually it does.  If after 6 months it doesn't improve, then the only treatment will be surgery.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon