I Had Upper Eyelid Retraction Surgery 3 Weeks Ago and My Eye Now Appears Droopy or Open Halfway: Is This Normal?

My surgery was 3 weeks ago to correct an upper eyelid retraction caused by graves disease. The brusing is gone and its been this long and it seems like my appearance is worse than before. It is more noticable. The eye appears droopy, puffy&half open. When will this go away?

Its really too early to tell

+1

Like my other colleagues answering this question I too feel you are probably still going through the early stages of healing and swelling.  This procedure is a little different than typical blepharoplasty surgery so your muscles may be still reacting to the procedure.  Be patient, take pictures and expect that your imporvement is just a few moments away, but maybe not tomorrow.

Time to Heal

+1

Eyelid surgery is "surgery of millimeters."  Therefore, a small amount of residual lid swelling will affect the overall look.  So, Cosmetic Surgeons recommend proper healing (3-6 months) before jumping back into surgery.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunately, yes this is normal.

+1

Upper eyelid recession surgery for upper eyelid retraction for thyroid eye disease is a very tough deal.  It is essential to over-correct the eyelid during surgery anticipating that with healing there will be contraction of the tissues.  Not so occasionally the surgery can actually bottom out the eyelid leading to an over correction.  Generally over correction at 3 weeks post-operative is a good sign.  If you were perfect today, then by 3 months post operative you would heal with the eyes too open.  Hang in there, waiting is tough.