Retraction Post Eyelid Surgery. Will My Eye Dry Out?

Upper Eyelid Has Retracted After Surgery. Told Need Wait 9mths for Other Op. Will my Eye Dry out? I Am Using Lubricants. had eyelid surgery to lower upper eyelid no spacer was used and lid has gone back up seeing all whites of my eye am using lubricants but scared my eye will dry out as told have to wait one year fir surgery what can i do please help thank you

One thing you can do that is safe is to pull the upper eyelid down at night and tape it with the tape anchored to your cheek.

+1

This procedure is like tissue expansion and may gradually stretch the upper eyelid skin to better cover the globe.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Waiting does not hurt, except for severe cases.

+1

Oculoplastics surgeon are the most commonly consulted surgeons to deal with eyelid retraction. There are some rare instances that early surgery is recommended for severe retraction. Most cases can be dealt with conservatively with lubricants and massage until the scarring soften...which can be take up to a year. Follow your surgeons advice with regards to lubrication.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

A Trick to Loosen Tight Upper Eyelids

+1

Because your upper eyelids are tight after surgery, it is very possible that there are little scar bands present.  One old trick that always works is close both eyes, put your finger on the eyelid on one side, then open your other eye.  It will put stretch on the eye which the finger is holding shut.  This can be done gently.  It loosens tight scar bands and can stretch your upper eyelid a few millimeters very safely. 

That having been said, before you do this, consult your surgeon to be sure he or she approves of this. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Retracted upper eyelid

+1

You could also massage your upper lid as often as you can to try to help soften the scar as it will change as things are healing...continue to use lubrication and follow up with your surgeon closely...

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Retraction

+1

All blepharoplasties will either make patient's eye drier or unchanged, never better.  See your surgeon to keep your eyes well lubed after surgery until fully healed.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon