Upper Eyelid Fold Goes into Eye Socket Very Deep, Can It Be Solved by Filling And/or Surgery? (photo)

My upper eyelid folds go into the eye sockets very deeply which creates a strange look. Can this be solved by filling and/or surgery? Advice on how best to tackle this will be highly appreciated.

Upper eyelid hollows

+2

Your upper eyelid hollows certainly can be addressed with permanent or temporary fillers [fat vs hyaluronic acid]. There are pros and cons to each, and in experienced hands, both can yield satisfactory results.

A dynamic exam is crucial in determining what is right for you. Your brow position is a dynamic variable and a single photo cannot adequately present the true situation. As mentioned by others, brow elevation can accentuate the hollowness of the upper eyelid, and brow elevation sometimes a compensation for droopy eyelids [which is not present in this photo, but may be an underlying issue]

Seek an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon for a consultation. Many are available in your area.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Deep sulci in the upper lids - Fat Graft

+2

If  your concern is truly limited to the depth of your crease, you can have it filled in with fat grafting.  It has the benefit of permanence over Restylane but the downside of increase in volume if you gain weight in the future.  Lumpiness has historically been an issue but with the newer techniques of micro fat grafting, satisfactory results can be achieved.  You should discuss all of the alternatives with your selected surgeon.

Curtis Wong, MD

Retracted eyelids

+2

Your posted photo shows a low brow with higher than usual upper eyelids. low outer corners of the eyes and the whites showing under the irises (scleral show). I therefore suspect you have something more going on. It could be overactive thyroid, reaction to drooping eyelids etc. You will need a face to face examination and possibly some blood tests to know for sure. Although it is not an emergent situation you should not delay too long in getting the appropriate evaluation.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

High eyelid crease

+2

Yes.  You have upper eyelid sulcus hollowness, which causes you to have deep or high crease.  Filling the brow and upper eyelid and surrounding area will help improve that.  The other reason you have high crease is you are raising your brows in order to elevate your droopy eyelids, so you possibly might benefit from eyelid lifting (ptosis surgery), but it is difficult to be sure without an examination. See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Filler Injection to Upper Eyelids

+1

Simon, 

You are very observant to notice the hollows of your upper eyelids.  This hollowing can give an aged or surprised appearance.   I think you would benefit from Restylane injection into your upper eyelids to fill in the hollows.  I recommend you see Dr. Ken Steinsapir in Beverly Hills.  .He is an oculoplastic surgeon who does a lot of filler injections as well.  I don't see ptosis in your photograph

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon