Why Don't Doctors Inject Restylane Above the Eyes?

I had an over agressive upper Blepharoplasty and I'm wondering what options exist (other than a fat transfer) to restore volume in my upper eyelid? Why can't Restylane be injected in that area?

Restylane for an eyelid rejuvenation

+3

Hi,

Restylane, Juvederm, and other products can successfully be injected into the brow above the upper eyelid, to reduce the hollowed appearance there. Of course, you need to know that using these products in that manner would be considered "off-label" use by the FDA. That said, I would advocate the use of fat transfer, as is my preference for most injectable procedures.

Post Blepharoplasty hollow eye improvement

+2

Options to exist to improve hollow upper eyelids after upper lid blepharoplasty. Improving the area around the eye can make it look significantly more youthful without eyelid surgery. In fact, I rarely if ever remove fat from the upper or lower eyelids when performing blepharoplasty for the first time. We never gain fat in the eyelid, so why remove it? For this reason I perform a very conservative upper eyelid surgery and a fat transposition of the lower lid.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post- blepharoplasty hollowness

+1

Post- blepharoplasty hollownss is difficult to treat.  Fillers like fat or hyaluronic acids can be injected above the upper eyelid to give a bit more fullness.

Hollow eyes

+1

The family of hyaluronic acid products (Restylane, Juvederm, Captique, Hylaform, etc.) are used in an "off label" fashion (i.e.: not FDA approved) in many facial contouring areas. The one area which is FDA approved are the lines which run inferiorly and obliquely from the base of the nose to the outer corner of the mouth (nasolabial lines or folds).

An expert injector who is familiar with facial anatomy may be able to restore the fullness of the area below the outer part of your eyebrow by injecting minute quantities of filler. It is a tricky zone to ensure smooth distribution and not exacerbate your hollowness because, in my experience, no filler belongs in the eyelids themselves. I have had good success with this technique in providing a subtle eyebrow lift, as well as masquerading the roof of the eyesocket, which gets bony, as we age. Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD