Upper Eyelid Has Become Prominent over the Past Few Years. What Can I Do?

I have noticed that my upper eyelid has become prominent over the past few years (as if stretching to cover the apparentlybulged eye). If this possible as a consequence of aging? I am 37. I used to have almond shaped eyes,now they have become prominent eyelids. Can This be indicative ofsome underlying problem? -thanks

Please post a photo

+1

Dear Labaik

Without photos, it is impossible for us to give you a good evaluation on the concerns that are specific to you and your anatomy. Please post high quality photos of the eyes AND the face to give us a better perspective.

There is a variety of possibilities for the description you present in your question, from Thyroid Eye Disease, to brow or eyelid droop, or excess eyelid skin.

We look forward to a posted photo.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Medical causes of bulging upper eyelids

+1

A picture would be very helpful here so that we might have a better three dimensional understanding of your situation.  Ideally pictures from the front and sides would allow for a better understanding as to whether you are experiencing age related changes or a forward projection of the eyeball (exopthalmos).  There is a long list of possible medical causes of this sort of protrusion of the eyeball.  An overactive thyroid is one of many possibilities.

These issues need to be investigated thoroughly through a team approach between your internist and a board-certified plastic or oculoplastic surgeon

John Q. Cook, MD

Bulging Eye

+1

It sounds like you need to be evaluated by an an oculoplastic surgeon.  You can find one near you at the website ASOPRS.org.  Bulging eyes can sometimes result from a thyroid condition (even before the thyroid hormone is abnormal), inflammation, or even a tumor.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unfortunately, you are not even providing enough information to make a guess here.

+1

Labaik

Realself is an entertainment forum.  We try to be factual and informative as well.  However somethings can't be answered in a meaningful away without more information.  Your question is one of these things.  Please consider reposting your question with a photograph if you are shy about this, an eye strip that contains mostly just your eyes may be adequate.

+1

It might be if your eyeball itself has begun to bulge forward this could be a thyroid condition or some other medical condition.  The eyelid crease and the upper eyelid itself can become elongated resulting in true eyelid ptosis.  You may want to see ytour internist or ophthalmologist for evaluation.