I Am Having Upper Eye Lift Surgery and Lip Augmentation Using Juvederm in 2 Weeks. Is Oral Sedation Enough?

I am having upper eye lift surgery as well lip augmentation using juvederm in 2 weeks and was wondering if oral sedation would be enough? Will I feel anything? I know that I would be awake but my biggest concern if the pain factor. I don't want to feel any pain. Thank you, Carmen in Florida

Upper lid blepharoplasty and lip fillers under local sedation

+2

I do alot of procedures under sedation. Having an upper lid blepharoplasty is usually relatively straightforward and along with lip fillers can be done this way.

We do many procedures under local with or without oral sedation.

+2

However, this is not for everyone.  Many patents are sufficiently nervous that they benefit from intravenous sedation or general anesthesia.  I personally believe that it is highly beneficial to perform eyelid surgery under iv sedation so the patient can open and close the eyes when directed to help monitor the effect of surgery.  My office procedure room is not accredited for iv sedation or general anesthesia so for these procedures I take my patents to the surgery center.  It adds expense but for many individuals it is the right choice and well worth the extra money.  The procedures you are having should be perfect for oral sedation.

Anesthesia for upper lid surgery and lip augmentation

+2

There is no definite rule regarding anesthesia. Most patients manage upper blepharoplasty with local anesthesia or light sedation. Juvederm generally does not need anesthesia. A numbing cream is generally sufficient especially with the introduction of Ultra XC and Ultra Plus XC which has lidocaine mixed into the product. However, some patients require a greater level of anesthesia. The important aspects are who is providing the anesthesia, and is the facility accredited for greater anesthesia if necessary.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

SHould be fine...but every patient is different

+2

Your level of anxiety and pain tolerance may different than others.

Most surgeons will perform upper blepharoplasty and facial injections for fillers under local anesthesia alone without any difficult.

It will likely go smoother than you anticipate. But you are the one that ultimately has to make that decision.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper Eyelid Surgery and sedation

+2

The question is a good one, but the answer has more to do with the patient than what could be conceived as right or wrong. Roughly half of my patients prefer to have sedation for smaller procedures such as upper eyelid surgery.  The main downside to this choice is increased cost, but many individuals welcome anesthesia as a positive thing.  If a patient has a high level of anxiety or a low pain threshold, sedation is the way to go.  Oral sedation alone can be sufficient in the right patient with realistic expectations and a calm demeanor. I recommend a frank discussion with your Surgeon about your concerns.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Every patient is different, but the vast majority of patients can tolerate an upper lid blepharoplasty with local anesthesia alone or with a mild sedation. I do have some patients that prefer to be more asleep and I offer them some deeper sedation with "twilight" anesthesia. The benefits to having just local anesthesia is how normal you will feel walking out of the office or operating room. The lip augmentation with Juvederm really needs no anesthesia. Allergan now makes a Juvederm Ultra Plus XC product that has lidocaine mixed into the product. I use this several times a week for lip augmentation with little to no pain at all in even the squeamish of patients.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Oral sedaton for blepharolplasty and lip augmentation

+1

Oral sedation is fine for most people for upper lid blepharoplasty and lip injections. I usually suggest mild oral sedation to alleviate nervousness. The local anesthesia must be injected very slowly to reduce local anesthesia injection pain, however. For the lip injections, a dental block can be performed with minimal pain.

Remember that general anesthesia requires IV's and recovery time not necessary with oral anesthesia, and there is the possibility of post op nausea. General anesthesia is also more expensive. Most of my patients prefer local anesthesia for blepharoplasties. We never use general anesthesia for lip injections.  Good luck with the surgery.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Oral meds for eyelids

+1

Yes I think this will be adequate especially if you have a good pain tolerance.I frequently will do upper lids just under locasl in my office.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

For upper eyelid surgery, is sedation needed?

+1

We have 2 goals for our patients: (1) help them experience a comfortable procedure and (2) strive for the best possible result.    We frequently perform upper eyelid blepharoplasty with our patients awake. However, they usually take an oral medication about 1 hour prior, have a friend or family drive them home, apply a topical anesthetic, and then we anesthetize the upper eyelid skin with a local. The discomfort from this last step is very brief and tolerable. This combination works well for many people. However for the patient who simply does not want to know or feel anything, then use of an intravenous sedation anesthetic is also appropriate.  Each person is different and the type of anesthesia as well as the procedure are carefully ddecided on during a consultation between the surgeon and the patient.   

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

No sedation for eyelid surgery

+1

I can't recall the last time I gave sedation to a patient for eyelid surgery.  It adds expense, sometimes nausea, and risk to the procedure.  My patient do excellent without it.  That being said it's reasonable to do it.   If you wanted to be put under general anesthesia I'd decline the surgery. . .you just don't need it.  Sedation is reasonable and it's enough.

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon