Upper Eye Lids - Will Bumps Go Away or is Scar Tissue Forming?

I had a poorly done upper eyelid surgery done 15 days ago. I notice hard bumbs and cysts forming, which I initially thought would subsde. They seem to be here to stay. Am I freaking out unjustly or is the beginning of permanant scar tissue forming. Please see pictures of day 8 (day stitches came out) Day 10, day 15 (today).

Healing after a upper Blepharoplasty procedure...

+2

Healing after upper blepharoplasty or any plastic surgery procedure takes time.  The incision line is placed in the natural crease of the eyelid, and the skin in this area is delicate and thin, therefore healing is usually excellent.  While most healing occurs in the first couple weeks, it can take a few months for complete healing of the incision.  It is completely normal to be experiencing the symptoms that you have.  The sutures that are placed in the crease are usually dissolving and may cause some irritation while going away.  Small bumps, redness, and swelling may be seen and usually disappear with time.  If you have concerns you should contact you surgeon to discuss your symptoms.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumpy scar from eyelid lift

+2

Many times, the bumps that can occur initially after surgery, resolve with time.  If not, the scar can be revised but I would wait at least 1 year before doing this.

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Bumps after upper lid blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery): scarring or something else?

+2

Because eyelid skin is the thinnest in the body, usually one can expect very minimal scarring when performing a blepharoplasty. That being said, there are certain factors that come into play that will effect the ultimate healing and one is the length of time sutures are left in. Most of the time blepharoplasty sutures are removed on either the fifth or sixth day. This is because, if left in much longer in the area, the body creates epithelial tracts where the sutures are placed which can result in bumps, cysts and potentially noticeable scars. Many plastic surgeons have gone to closing the eyelid incisions with a subcuticular suture to help avoid tracts. That means the suture is placed beneath the skin and only comes out on either end. Even with this technique, at about six days, you start to see a small bump on either end where the suture emerges which usually settle down over a short period of time. In your case at day 15, it is a bit early to determine if these irregularities will be permanent. If it is just melia (small cysts), then your plastic surgeon can address this easily, so let him know.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid incisions with small bumps after Blepharoplasty

+2

Dear OrangeCounty,  Thank you for the picture or your upper eyelids after Blepharoplasty.  The bumps that you describe can be from a variety of  causes.

•  They can be entirely normal at only 15 days after surgery if the bumps are where your sutures where placed.
  • If you had absorbable sutures, then they may be where your body is dissolving the sutures.
  • If your eyelid skin is forming some small "milia" at the sutures sites, then these can be self-limiting, or can  usually be treated very simply by your surgeon.  

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Lid Blepharoplasty

+1

Thanks for the picture.  It has been just over 2 weeks and I think the incision should look a bit better than it does.  It is hard to tell if you have cyst or not without a physical exam.  I would revisit with your surgeon to see what his/her answers are.  If dissatisfied with that then get a second opinion.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS