Upper Eye Lid Blepharoplasty 1 week ago - Right eye swollen, burning and itchy

I week ago today, I had an upper eyelid blepharoplasty . My sutures came out yesterday and my right eye seems to be more bothersome to me. It is burning and really itchy. It is also more swollen than the left eye. I also have a little swelling by my cheek area. The nurse told me this was all normal but it certainly doesn't feel normal.

1 Week After Blepharoplasty

+1
First of all do not panic.  The advice others have given to call and get an appointment with your surgeon should be heeded.  However, it is difficult to tell how bad or unusual your complaints are by your brief description, and without a photo.  Itching is very normal at this point in your healing and is more common than not.  Mild burning can also occur.  It is also quite common for patients to have more edema (swelling) and even bruising on one side than the other.  Edema from the upper lid very often moves down into the lower lids right over the upper cheek.  This will happen more on one side than the other if you have more swelling in the upper lid more on one side.  If the swelling is tight, red and painful to the touch I would be more worried about an infection.  Acute infections after blepharoplasty are fairly rare.  If it is not painful to the touch and seems more like fluid collecting this is likely normal and will resolve.
To be safe; however, go see your surgeon and make sure it is nothing to worry about.

Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling and itching after upper lid surgery

+1
  • If the problem  is not improving, you must call your surgeon.
  • One side always heals faster - but if your right is in more swollen, and the cheek is swollen, it may be an early infection.
  • If the eye itself is hurting, it may be dryness, or an abrasion or an allergy or an infection.
  • Your surgeon will be able to help you. Call the office now. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Pain after a blepharoplasty

+1
Pain after a blepharoplasty
A week after a blepharoplasty you should not have significant discomfort. Some mild itching is normal. Your symptoms require evaluation by a doctor to rule out any significant problems such as corneal abrasion, bleeding around the eye, etc. Do not delay being evaluated by your surgeon.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Sore eye after blepharoplasty

+1
You need to be seen by your plastic surgeon.   A sore eye  is something that can be a serious probe,.  Go today and be seen by your doctor.   My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon