Upper Blepharoplasty 7 Days. Sutures Started to Be Removed. Wound Dehiscence. Will It Be Ok? (photo)

Started to have my MD husband remove my sutures today (7 days post op)..he stopped when he discovered this bit of dehiscence. I will go back to surgeon tomorrow to have him remove the rest of the stitches. What are the chances of this being confined to the one small area...and what about the other eyelid? I have never had trouble "healing" before..

Wound dehisence after blepharoplasty

+1

can occur but yours is very small and should have no impact on your final result or your scar.  Topical ointments usually lead to complete resolution but you should have seen your doctor by now and hopefully you have his recommendations to follow from this point forward.

Upper Blepharoplasty 7 Days. Sutures Started to Be Removed. Wound Dehiscence. Will It Be

+1

Always best to have the surgeon remove the sutures. As you now have discovered. Usually as seen in your posted photos not a real issue. You should heal without any issue. But ONLY have the surgeon treat you now. 

Eyelid incision

+1

I think it is best to see your plastic surgeon to be properly treated and evaluated.  In all likelihood this area should heal well.

I agree with my colleagues to a point.

+1

Upper eyelid wound dehiscences do remarkably well.  Generally these are allowed to close on their own because it is presumed that there is a low grade cellulites or minor skin infection associated with their formation.  Because the body is so well vascularized in this area, the body resolves these quickly and they seldom require more treatment.  One concern I do have is that you surgeon did make a relatively high crease incision.  Due to the dehiscence, it is likely you will have more collagen production associated with healing than normal.  This may cause the wound incision to creep up even higher as it heals.  This may not be a long term issue but it is worth watching this as it heals over the next 12 months.

Blepharoplasty wound dehiscence

+1

The eyelid incision should heal quite well without any problems long term.  This is not an unusual situation.  You should be careful pulling clothing over your head for the next week or so to prevent this from pulling further apart.

On occasion, if necessary, a scar revision can be performed down the road.  Most of the time thee heal well without additional intervention.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wound dehiscence

+1

Dear Boulderwood,

Wound dehiscences may occur from time to time with any incision, any where on the body.  In my experience, a very small dehiscence like the one in your photo generally heals very well on its own, without any further revision, and without any increased scarring.  However, depending on the size of the dehiscense once the rest of the sutures are removed, your surgeon may opt to re-suture or sometimes even glue the area.  That being said, this may delay your over all healing by a few days, but shouldn't change the overall outcome, and I anticipate you'll still have a very very nice result.  Good luck!

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Clearwater Oculoplastic Surgeon