Upper Blepharoplasty Gone Wrong

Hello, I am in distress. My eyes are severely sunken after upper blepharoplasty and brow lift, it's been almost two years now! what is the best procedure to rectify this as the clinic I used before is closed down? Fat grafting to upper eyelid maybe????? how much generally?

Eyelid Surgery

+1

For this problem, you need to have a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon experienced with eyelidplasty, fat harvesting and fat grafting.  Not all Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialize in eyes and or fat grafting.  Some have their own area of focus so search out the best choice in your area.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting

+1

Not going to beat a dead horse here, but will mention that photos would be needed. However, as mentioned above, there are 2 major categories of revision:  fat grafting and injectible fillers.

The fat grafting that has been mentioned can be performed in a 2 different ways. Most surgeons would liposuction fat from other parts of the body and then inject into other areas with a small cannula and no external incisions. This would not be the ideal way to address "sunken eyelids" as the area that is missing fat around the eyes is a "danger zone" that blind injection with a cannula could be potentially very dangerous.

Another method for replacing this fat is micro-droplet fat transfer which is done through an open incision along the eyelid. This ensures that the fat is placed in the correct position without the danger of a "blind" injection. This procedure may need to be done more than once as not all the fat that is grafted will stay viable [some will shrink away]

Good luck and maybe we'll see some photos.

AJ Amadi, MD

seattleface com

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper Blepahroplasty Results

+1

There is no way to give complete advice without a photographic description.  However, upper lid Blepharoplasty, if overly aggressive, can lead to a hollowed out look.  Secondly, a brow lift can make deep set orbital rims more obvious.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery correction with fat grafting

+1
The area between the brow and the upper eyelid crease is full of subcutaneous fat in most young people, and that fullness looks youthful.   I refer to this area as the "brow-upper lid junction," and I add fat to make it fuller in the majority of patients for who I perform eye-area rejuvenation surgery.  Take a look at the eyes of fashion models in advertisements: in most cases you actually see little to none of the upper lid.  What you see is a youthful soft tissue fullness that extends from the brow to the upper lid lashes.
As we age, this fatty fullness atrophies and the brow-upper lid junction gradually becomes hollow.  The outline of the bony structures below the brow (the superior orbital rim) becomes visible, and one begins to look older, sometimes even ill, and in advanced stages even skeletal.  In some patients that I treat this appearance is inherited and they have a hollow look at their brow-upper lid junction at a young age.  Whether it is something that was always present, something that has developed with aging, or the result of an overly-aggressive upper blepharoplasty, fat grafting of the brow-upper lid junction can rejuvenate the eye area in a manner that is simply impossible by means of standard blepharoplasty techniques.  It does not look like ‘surgery’, and patients for whom I perform this procedure return to say that their friends and acquaintances think they look great, but they can’t quite put their finger on why.
A word of caution: this is a delicate surgery that requires a fair amount of experience with fat grafting, and meticulous surgical technique.  In experienced hands a smooth, youthful and aesthetically ideal brow-upper lid contour can be achieved.  Make sure your surgeon can show you numerous photographic examples of brow-upper lid junction fat grafting.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Hollow eyes after eyelid and brow surgery

+1

Yes, pictures would be great.

Couple of factors that could have led to your problem:

1. Too much fat was removed during your eyelid surgery thus hollowing your eyes

2. You have such an anatomy that lifting your brows exposed the prominence of your eye socket

3. Combination of the above

Yes, use of a filler or fat grafting may improve your situation, however it would not be a perfect solution given the fact that those substances are never injected inside the orbit where you seem to be lacking volume. Unfortunately, there is no perfect solution here. I think you should give it a try with injectables and see if this improves the problem. Another option, though almost never used for this particular circumstance, would be placement of an intraorbital implant, either Vicryl or Medpore one. These materials are usually used for repair of the orbital fractures; they do however increase intraorbital volume and may to some extent improve your condition.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Blepharoplasty Problems

+1

Need photos.  This is a perfect example of a question where if you want us to answer--we need good photos!

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Sunken eyes after blepharoplasty

+1

Well, Chris, I am sorry you are distressed about your eyelid surgery. As other doctors have stated, without seeing pictures, it is impossible to say how to treat your problem.  However, the use of a filler may offer the best fix in the short run.  By using one of the hyaluronidase fillers like Juvederm or Restylane, if you don't like the result, it can be reversed with an enzyme  that will dissolve the material.  If  you do like the result but want something a little more permanent, you could go with fat grafting.  Good luck.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid hollow after blepharoplasty

+1

Sometimes brow lifting along, without upper blepharoplasty, can unveil hollow upper lids.  Fat grafting and filler injections are some options, each with advantages and disadvantages. There might be other options as well depending on your specific eyelid anatomy/problem. Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye and brow issues

+1

Without an exam or at least pictures, it is hard to say what could be doen for you to correct your problem.

Sunken eyes

+1

Without seeing you it is impossible to advise you. You need to seek out a  board certified plastic surgeon for a second opinion.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD