Upper Blepharoplasty Recovery Requirements?

My doctor tells me that I will need someone to stay with me and take care of me for the first night after I have upper blepharopolasty. Do you think this is absolutely necessary? Or would it be ok to just have someone check in on me periodically?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Recovery after upper blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery)

+1

Recovery is generally quick after upper eyelid surgery for most patients. Pain is normally minimal. Most of the swelling and bruising go away after several days, but its takes several weeks for the residual swelling to resolve. Keep in mind that gravity will bring some of that swelling and bruising downward to areas such as the lower eyelids that may not have been operated.

Upper eyelid surgery may be performed in the office via local anesthesia or performed via IV sedation. For the first night, most plastic surgeons may recommend having a close friend or family member with you. Lastly, always follow the care instructions of your plastic surgeon. He/she is in the best position to provide the optimal care during the recovery period.

Dr. Chaboki

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/eyelid-surgery-upper-lower.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Blepharoplasty Post-Op Care

+1

It is important to trust your doctor and follow any pre-operative and post-operative advice.  At our practice, safety is always a top priority.  An upper blepharoplasty is a relatively simple procedure that can conveniently be done in our state of the art facility; however there are possible complications with any surgical or non-surgical procedure.  Therefore it is important to have someone with you the first night after surgery.  I hope this information helps!

Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty recovery

+1

You absolutely need a responsible adult with you the night after surgery.  This is non-negotiable in my practice.  Safety first!

Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from blepharoplasty

+1

While recovery from upper eyelid blepharoplasty is generally uneventful, I always recommend having someone with you for the first night after surgery to help with medications, comfort measures and any problems that may arrive.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is always a good idea to have someone help the first night following surgery. They can give pain medicine, help you up to the bathroom, and most importantly help in an emergency. I think having a complication from a blepharoplasty is very rare but they can be very serious.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Need help for the first night after a blepharoplasty

+1

You should follow your plastic surgeon's advice.  For your own safety you will need a responsible adult to help you for the first night.  

You must be prepared to follow your doctor's direction.

+1

Please set yourself up for success.  If your surgeon tells you that you need some one with you after surgery, then please follow those directions.  I happen to agree with your surgeon.  If you can't follow your surgeons directions, do yourself a favor and look for a surgeon who does inspire you to follow their directions to a tee.  The chemistry of confidence is what carries you to a successful outcome.

Recovery After an Upper Blepharoplasty

+1

Anytime you have surgery, the first night is going to be the most difficult.  For this reason and in combination with having anesthesia, I insist that my patients have someone be with them for the first night.  I believe it is in everyone's best interest to ensue your safety.

Web reference: http://www.carolinafacialplasticsurgery.com/surgical-procedures/blepharoplasty/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty recovery

+1

Upper blepharoplasty can be performed with different types of anesthesia.  If the procedure is done with local anesthesia, I would say it is possible to go home without having someone stay with you and just check on you periodically.  If you are having any kind of deeper anesthesia, then I would recommend that you have someone stay with you the first night.  The most important opinion is that of your surgeon however, since he or she will be involved with your care, so I would follow those instructions.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Requirements

+1

Anytime you are having any type of anesthesia, it is necessary to have someone stay with you for the first night. You may have some adverse reaction from anesthesia which you need to be most cautious of, let alone any reactions to the procedure itself. It is for your safety your doctor is recommending this. Good luck. All the best.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.