Upper Blepharoplasty - Lingering Adverse Effects on Cheeks

I had Blepharoplasty on my upper lids only, but tremendous bruising occured on my lower lids and cheeks after surgery. I've had puffines and swelling on my upper and lower lids, cheeks and neck since the procedure 4 years ago.

Recently, I have developed a dent of sorts on the side of each cheek (1.5 inches from middle of ear). I have had my thyroid checked several times. Could I have been allergic to something related to the eyelid surgery? Is there a test that might help solve the mystery?

Upper eyelid surgery doesn't cause cheek problems

+1

I seriously doubt your upper eyelid surgery with the long convalescence had anything to do with the contour problems of your cheek.  Unless you had steroid injections in the cheek, which can dissolve subcutaneous fat, the development of your problem would be independent of any previous surgery.

I'm not sure what you are describing, but fillers might be tried if you dislike the appearance.

Cheek ptosis

+1

What you describe is a common form of cheek ptosis that leaves a hollow just under the cheek bone. A vertical cheek lift will do wonders for this problem.

I recently treated someone with this problem who had many Radiesse injections into the hollows. The vertical facelift with fat augmentation to the hollows worked well.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Doesn't sound like it is your surgery

+1

What you are describing sounds very likely not to be related to your previous surgery. Typically there are no materials ie sutures in eyelid surgery that you could have reacted to causing what you are describing. It is probably age related but you should check with your internist or family doctor for a general health evaluation.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

You are four years older

+1

Dear Tropical1,

The symptoms that you describe probably have no relation to your eyelid surgery of 4 years ago. You have aged an additional 4 years, so you may be experiencing your own natural aging. You may also have a medical condition causing changes in your facial appearance. Start by visiting your primary care physician. He will begin an evaluation and refer you on as indicated. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD