Upper Bleph 4 Weeks Ago. Concerned with How Big my Eyelids Look.

I can’t find any “after" photos that have big lids like mine. Is this cause too much fat was taken? I was told in time the top would hang over a bit more & look more natural. It hangs over a bit now but there just appears to be too much eyelid on display (but no hollowness). Is it just that I have always had big eyelids & wasn’t aware because they were hooded before? Or could the eyelid look be due to swelling (though it has been almost 4 weeks)?

Big eyelids after surgery

+2

From your description, it sounds like you are referring to your lid platform.  It could look prominent due to swelling or it could be that the lid crease was made higher than your natural lid crease and so more of your upper lid is visible.  Give yourself a few more weeks for the swelling to improve.

Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper Lid Blepharoplasty

+2
Most of your swelling at four weeks after an upper eyelid lift should be resolved. It is very possible that if you have had the eyelid overhang for so long, you are just not used to your new look. However, it may also be related to removing too much skin or the result of an eyelid incision that was placed too high. Usually the upper eyelid incision should be placed in the natural eyelid crease 7-10 mm above the lash line.

Anita Mandal, MD
Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

"Big" eyelids from upper lid surgery will likely "shrink" over the next 4-6 months

+2

While "big" upper lids can result from taking too much fat and/or skin during upper blepharoplasty, they also often seem too exposed/big during the early healing period. Assuming your surgeon was a competent facial plastic, oculoplastic, or plastic surgeon, it is very likely you will look great after a few months' time.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

"Big" Eyelids may be the result of eyebrow lifting

+1

I agree with the other comments so far.  You could have a small amount of residual swelling.  However, often times patients with excess upper lid skin develop the unconscious habit of lifting their eyebrows to get the skin off of their eyelids.  Some patients continue this habit, even after surgery.  If you are still lifting your eyebrows, this could be making your eyelids appear large.  Botox can be used to weaken the muscles that lift the brow and may make your eyelids appear more normal.  I recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon