Bigger Eyelids After Upper Bleph- How to Tell if It's Just Swelling or a Problem?

I am 15 days post op from an upper bleph. My eyes don't really feel swollen to me anymore, and things are starting to even out. However, my upper eyelids look larger than they were before surgery, and they are covering the top 1/4, maybe 1/3 of my pupils. It's making me look tired and I am scared it will stay that way. How can I tell if this is just swelling and will sort itself out, or if it's some sort of problem that I should be concerned about?

Upper eyelid swelling - still early in the post operative period

+1

You are very early in the recovery process.  Give it another several weeks for this swelling of your upper eyelids to resolve. 

+1

Give yourself 3 months to see the final results.  At 15 days, after eyelid surgery, there is almost certainly some degree of residual swelling in the upper eyelids that will persist for weeks to a few months.

Heavy Eyelids

+1

Eyelids can retain swelling for longer periods that other areas of the body.  Sometimes this edema may appear greater in the morning and decreases during the balance of the day.  This can be typical.  This will resolve over the next several weeks.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Swollen eyes

+1

More than likely since you ar eonly two weeks out from surgery, the appearance you see is from swelling.  Give it a few months before getting too worried.

After Upper Blepharoplasty Swelling or Problem

+1

It is normal to  have  some swelling 2 weeks after eyelid surgery. As per your description it seems that you have some ptosis of your upper eyelids. It could be due to post surgical swelling or it may be preexisting and you just discovered it since the excess skin on upper eyelids were removed. Look at your old photos and compare the level of your eyelids to your pupils.  Anyhow is to early to do any thing now. Just relax and let everything heal and in a few months if your eyelid ptosis persist and does not resolve, it can be surgically corrected.

A. H. Nezami, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

It is normal to be swollen only 2 weeks out from eyelid surgery.

+1

Interestingly one eyelid always seems to lag behind the other after eyelid surgery.  When the lids are swollen, more upper eyelid platform will be visible.  As the swelling resolve, this should improve.  Not uncommonly the levator aponeurosis can separate in the eyelid from post surgical swelling and this can contribute to persistent upper eyelid ptosis not present before surgery.  If this does not resolve spontaneously, it can be corrected surgically.