I Had Upper Bletharoplasty and Was Healing Well. After Wearing Makeup 2 Nights Ago my Eyelids Have Become Swollen & Red. (photo)

I have since been doing cold compresses to reduce the inflamation but it still persists. Would this be purely a reaction to the makeup or could it be an infection. The bleharoplasty was three weeks ago.

Looks like an allergic reaction

+2

It would be unlikely for you to have such symmetric response if it were an infection. This seems very typical of an allergic response. Icing this is quite a good idea.

In addition you could consider getting a steroid ointment to rub into the eyelid. Make sure that it is "ophthalmic" ointment. Your surgeon should be able to prescribe that for you.

I recommend avoiding makeup for at least 2 weeks after surgery.

GOod luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Possible Allergic reaction

+1

Both eyelids appear to be affected equally therefore could be an allergic reaction. Discontinue makeup and see your surgeon to rule out infection.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible allergic reaction to makeup

+1

Based on your photo, both eyelids appear to be equally affected. This leads me to deduct that you had an allergic reaction to the makeup although it is still possible it could be an infection. Discontinue using that makeup and visit your doctor to get his/her opinion, especially if your eyes are getting worse. If it is allergic he/she will probably recommend a topical steroid but if it is an infection this is contraindicated and an antibiotic would be prescribed.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Could this be an infection?

+1

Yes it could be.  However, it is interesting how both eyelids appear to be equally affected.  It may be that if you are using an antibiotic ointment still that you are reaction to that product.  It is less likely that make up applied two days ago caused an allergic reaction but you never know.  This can't be managed by email.  You need to immediately call your surgeon and be seen within 24 hours or sooner if things seem to be getting worse.

Infection is very unlikely from eyelid surgery.

+1

You may have had a reaction to the make-up.  An infection of the eyelids is most unusual and your lids don't look infected.  You should, however, visit your surgeon and get his opinion