Is Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery Still Obvious After 2 Weeks? Are Some Patients Able to Successfully Conseal It with Make Up?

I am having upper and lower eyelid surgery in 2 months. I will have 12 days after the surgery to recuperate before I have to go back to work. I'm in my late 30s and I'm in shape and tend to heal quickly. I'm going to take the arnica. My surgeon is very good and my surgery is going to be pretty straight forward; fat repositioning and some removal. Is this enough time to be able to conseal my surgery. My surgeon said I could wear make up in 1 week.

Upper and Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty

+1

In my experience the most important thing in assuring a quick recovery from blepharoplasty is minimizing bruising and swelling. Bruising is much easier to prevent that to get rid of. I have all my patients ice as much as possible from the time they get home until they go to sleep that first night. And I instruct them to not recline any more than 45 degrees until they go to sleep that night. And stay away from salt. Patients who follow these instructions generally heal very quickly with little or minimal bruising or swelling. Good luck with your procedure!

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Upper and lower lid blepharoplasty down-time

+1

Most patients are able to the return to work and social activities than 12-14 days after having had the procedure. Make up and reading glasses  can both help camouflage swelling and bruising that occurs after the surgery. We allow patients to apply makeup on the eyelids at approximately 1 week after the surgery once the sutures and tissue glue dissolve. For more information please see the our " A complete guide to blepharoplasty" located on the link below

Blepharoplasty and recovery

+1

Usually two weeks is enought to heal from a blepahroplasty.  You may have residual bruising and definitely swelling, but the bruising can probably be covered up with make-up.

Most patients can conceal eyelid surgery after two weeks.

+1

Most of this depends on good fortune. If there is no significant bruising, which is very difficult to cover with makeup, you should look fine in two weeks. Occasionally the patient's will get irritation of the conjunctiva since it is so close to the field surgery. This may be hard to camouflage.

Recuperation time for upper and lower blepharoplasty

+1

For a younger patient, most of the effects of the surgery will be gone by 2 weeks, but everyone is different and some residual swelling and bruising may still be present as much as 4 weeks later.  Make up will likely conceal any skin color change from the bruising and swelling should be minimal. I always tell patients to give 6 weeks for a big event like a wedding, just to be safe. 

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ok to return to work

+1

Most patients can return to work by 2 weeks after blepharoplasty, but there will be residual swelling that can last for 1-2 months. Bruising can be covered with a concealer but eyeliner and eyeshadow will have to wait a bit longer.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon