What Can I Do For Scar Tissue Bumps on the Outer Corners of Both Eyes? Cortisone Shots Not Working.

Upper and lower eyelid surgery 4 months ago. My eyes are doing good but I have scar tissue bumps on the outer corners of both eyes. My lower surgery was done from the inside so no incision under my eye. My Dr has given me cortisone shots in both and said that that should break it up. He has done this twice now and they are not getting any smaller. Can you give me any suggestion on what I need to do now?

Scar tissue bumps after eyelid surgery

+2

The incision line after a blepharoplasty can develop small bumps that may be due to trapped skin cells. These inclusion cysts or milia often resolve on their own but they can be unroofed in some cases.

The scar may be thicker or nodular for other reasons. A dilute steroid injection may help with this. An alternative treatment is to inject 5-FU which works against scar tissue cells. 5-FU doesn't have the side effects that steroid do with regard to thinning of the skin, etc.

Without seeing the scars, though, it's hard to say what should be done exactly.

Bumps after eyelid surgery

+2

Suture cysts after eyelid surgery occur frequently and often resolve without treatment.  It is hard to be sure what you are referring to without photos.  Chances are that things will continue to improve and it sounds like your doctor is treating you appropriately.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bumps after bleph

+2

This little bumps could be teeny, tiny inclusions cysts which are common after Blepharoplasty.  If these are cysts,  you may need a little excision of them  or incision and drainage.  If these are scar nodules, they should get better with time and gentle massage.   I am very, very careful about injecting any facial scar with cortisone.  It can cause a lot of problems with atrophy of the skin and fat. 

Make sure your surgeon has considered the possibility of inclusion cysts. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Bumps outer corner after upper lid surgery

+1

Bumps from scar tissue formation are usually hard and can take a few months to respond to cortisone injections.   If the bumps are soft to the touch, they are probably secondary to excess skin and may need to be excised.  Hope this helps.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue bumps

+1

It is hard to know what these bumps represent. A picture would help, but your surgeon may have a better idea since he can palpate them. Most likely time is the best thing for decreasing them.

Gary Lelli, Jr., MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

No photos. Hard to know what is going on.

+1

There are a number of invasive canthal procedures that may be performed through the upper eyelid that might contribute to tissue irregularity or bumps in the outer corner of the eyes after surgery.  Only your surgeon knows for sure what they did.  Unless there is something truly hienous going on, it is often best to let this area heal for quite a while.  I like other surgeons often reach for steroids or 5FU to help modify a scar.  Sometimes if this is done too much with the steroids, the fat and skin can atrophy creating secondary issues.  If you feel the need, consider getting a second opinion.  If your trust your surgeon, follow their advise and be pateint.