I Had Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery 1 Year Ago. Eyes Are Inflamed, Irritated, Round. How To Revise?

My eyes are inflamed and irritated and round now, with scars on each outer end of each eyes and blunted. My eyes look unattractive now, and I was wondering how difficult it is to fix a botched Blepharoplasty to where your eyes can feel good again, and actually look good too? My eyes are pulling down at each end, giving me more of the Bassett Hound look. Thanks for your advice and help. Jill

Your own surgeon caused this problem. They are not going to be able to help you.

+2

Lower eyelid reconstruction after cosmetic eyelid surgery is very specialized.  Depending on where you live, you might actually have to travel to get the care you need.  Please find an oculoplastic surgeon who specializes in this type of reconstructive work.  Well meaning but inadequate surgery for this problem will actually make you worse.  Hint: lateral canthoplasty without other reconstructive measures is not adequate for fixing this issue and no you are not describing ectropion.  Non-eyelid surgeon have a tendency of describing every lower eyelid issue as entropion or ectropion when there is actual no rotational issues.  This is more likely a pathological horizontal and vertical shortening of the lower eyelid which is relatively common after transcutaneous lower eyelid surgery. There is help out there.

Lower lid retraction after blepharoplasty

+1

This is an unwanted side effect of lower blepharoplasty when too much skin is removed or the muscle that closes the eye is weakened.  There can be some recovery with time up to a year.  You should consider revisional lower lid surgery to elevate the lower eyelid with graft.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower Eyelid Complication

+1

Lower Blepharoplasty can be a complicated procedure and what you are describing as scleral show or ectropion is a common complication. As it has been a year already and you are still having problems, it is most likely that you will need some type of surgical repair to correct this. It hopefully is a fixable problem if too much skin has not been removed but make sure whoever you chose to correct this problem is very experienced with lower lid surgery so that you don't make the problem worse. 

Navinderdeep S. Nijher, MD
Ocala Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Complication

+1

Unfortunately, the lower eyelids can sometimes become loose or retracted after blepharoplasty surgery. These can be repaired in several different ways, depending upon the severity of the problem.

You should return to your surgeon to discuss your options. If he or she does not feel comfortable repairing your eyelids, then I would seek the opinion of an Oculoplastic Surgeon. Most Oculoplastic Surgeons are adequately trained and experienced in this sometimes complicated procedure.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid ectropion

+1

From your description, you sound like you have lower lid ectropions.  These are the puled down rounded out outside corners of the lower lids.  These can be corrected with surgery but needs alot of expertise and experience.  Make sure you visit your own surgeon and a few other experts.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS