Can I Have Upper and Lower Abdominal Vaser HD Lipo 4 Weeks Before my Tummy Tuck?

I'm 33 y, 5'4", 180#, had 2 c-sections.Is abdominal lipo usually performed during a tummy tuck? What would be better? Lipo beforeTT, during TT, after TT or no lipo at all to the abdomen? I've read there are risks such as compromising blood supply to abd that can cause skin flap necrosis, also lipo can effect skin elasticity to abd. But, how common are these problems? I'm generally healthy and active.

Liposuction and TummyTuck

+2

Liposuction can safely be done at the same time as a tummy tuck if and only if the surgeon is very familiar with the procedure and how to keep it safe.   Generally I recommend no heat producing systems such as Vaser or Laser be used in these simultaneous procedures.   It would not be logical to do any type of liposuction in the 6 months prior to a planned tummy tuck.   Any effort at High Definition Liposuction should be done only 6 months after a tummy tuck and certainly not before.  Remember the ONLY candidates for high definition liposuction are people ho have worked hard and are at their ideal weight with very low body fat %s.  High Definition will fail on fat people or people with body fat % over 13% female and 10% male.  My Best,  Dr C

Web reference: http://www.gcommonsmdplasticsurgery.com

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Best time for liposuction and a tummy tuck.

+1

I would avoid any treatment before your tummy tuck beyond just basic, traditional liposuction.  Some of the other methods such as ultrasonic and laser lipo can lead to significant scarring making the tummy tuck more difficult.  Staging is always best, but many surgeons today will perform the liposuction at the time of the tummy tuck and I find that the results are equivalent.  Of course, weight loss would be the preferred method, but not everyone is successful.

I also agree with Dr. Gottleib that VASER HD would not be beneficial if you follow it up with a tummy tuck.  The tummy tuck with simply remove most of the tissue that is being treated by the VASER HD.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction before a tummy tuck

+1

If you decide to have liposuction before your tummy tuck then you should probably wait 3-4 months minimum for the swelling to go down.

+1

It is hard to answer something this specific without photos. The best preparation you can do is trying to get your BMI down from the current 31 to 25--but we are talking her 35 pounds. This would decrease your risks, and greatly improve your outcome. 

HD lipo before TT makes no sense to me--you will lose all the HD benefits when the TT is done. If you do choose to have extensive liposuction before the TT, your surgeon may prefer a 3 month delay. 

Best to discuss this with your surgeon. All the best. 

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.