Will an Upper Body Lift Decrease my Waist Circumference?

I've lost over 200 lbs through diet/exercise over the last 10 years. After losing 160, I had an abdominoplasty/paniculectomy (seven years ago) and never continued the body contouring process. I am a conductor, serving as an active-duty Air Force officer, and appearance is a big part of my career. The bottom line is that I struggle to keep the military 'look' despite how much I exercise. Should I go forth with an upper-body lift/revision abdominoplasty (military plastic surgeons)? Thank you!

+1
You may benefit from the procedures you propose, but it will be harder to meet all of the requirements of the VA system to get these done.  The VA provides services of Plastic Surgery but not for cosmetic procedures.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

+1

I do not think an upper bodylift will be of much help but this an answer given without the benifit of a picture to really know what you look like. I suspect that what you really need is a lower bodylift to fix your problem. The key for you is consulting with an experienced bodylift surgeon to get an informed opinion.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Improving Waistline with Surgery

+1

Upper body lifting is not likely to improve your waistline appearance. This operation addresses the upper back, infra axillary area and chest areas.

If muscle plication  was not done during your previous abdominal surgery, then plication of the separated muscles now will help to improve your waistline. Also, excision of excess skin and adipose tissue of the flanks/ back areas (lower body lifting) may also improve the waistline area.

Should you have Plastic Surgery/Upper Body Lift?

+1

Hi Maestro
Having Plastic Surgery is something that no one can or should tell you that you should do.  It is something that you should only do if you "want" to.  For patients with excessive skin laxity due to weight loss, this can be a great procedure.  But, it always depends on how bad the problem is.  If you have a lot of excess skin, and you find a surgeon who provides excellent results, then you will probably be very happy.  As far as decreasing your circumference...  that depends on how much skin there is to be removed and if you "need" or choose to have liposuction at the same time. 
Good Luck

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Body Contouring Surgery after Weight Loss has a Very High Patient Satisfaction Rate

+1

Hi there-

Without examining you, it would be irresponsible for me to make firm recommendations to you...

On the other hand, please know that boady contouring procedures for improvement in patients who have lost large amounts of weight are associated with extremely high rates of patient satisfaction for many good reasons. I think that if you found a skilled and experienced surgeon, the procedure would be well-worth it for you and you'll be glad you did it.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Upper body lift

+1

You sound that you had a panneculectomy, if the muscles were not tightened, and you do not have excessive fat inside the belly then revision abdominoplasty with tightening the muscle may improve on your waist line.

Upper body lift may not contribute much to the narrowiong of the waist, but improve your upper body appearance.