Should I Get a Breast Lift with Implant Removal or Wait to See the Results?

25 yr old implants coming out. Not much sagging, less than 270 cc in each double lumen implant, skin texture good. breast tissue is dense per mammograms. Will the doctor do a breast lift if he or she thinks it warranted after the implants come out (provided this is discussed prior to surgery)? Or is better to wait some time after implant removal to see if a lift is warranted?

Breast implant removal

+1

From your description, your breasts will probably look much like they did prior to having them placed.  Definitely do not have a lift at the same time.  Most women are surprised how good their breasts look after simple removal, especially if you are young are the implants are small.

Breast augmentation/lifting?

+1

If you are in doubt whether a breast that will be necessary then it is probably in your best interest to wait and see if it is necessary after the implants have been removed and you allow many months to year  for skin retraction to occur.

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person may be helpful.

Timing of breast implant removal (explantation) and lift

+1

I generally prefer a two stage apporach with implant removal followed b 6-9 months of observation and decideing on a lift at that point in time. Occasionally if there is a question,abou tthe need for a lift, saline implants can be deflated with a needle to get a rough idea bout the degree of sagging or droop (ptosis)

Removing breast implants

+1

The way to understand implant removal is thinking the reverse of what happens when an implant is put behind the breast. If the implant was sized reasonably, positioned correctly, and healed in the correct position, it acts like a pillow and does not fundamentally change a normal breast. It does not raise or lower the breast, turn it, lift it, or change the skin, nipple-aroela, or breast tissue. The changes over 25 years are what one would expect to change whether the implant was there are not. 

Therefore, in considering removing the implant (aside from the incisional scar and capsule around the implant), it is like removing the pillow from behind the breast. The breast will not change except for the lost pillow volume. This may look as if the breast has sagged but it's an illusion caused by volume loss not actual sagging. The same thing happens in reverse at the time of the augmentation. 

There is currently not good way to show you exactly what the breast will look like after the removal or how you will feel about it just as there isn't a good way to show you what it will look like exactly when it's put in. The simplest thing is to do a simple removal which can be done under local anesthesia and then see how you feel about the looks after a couple of months of settling. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

+1

If you do not have much free time, it may be best to combine the procedures. If free time is less of an issue then you have very little to lose by taking out implants and making the decision yourself in the future based on your own asessment of yourself. While additional procedures require additional incision lines and potential scar formation on your breasts, this may be required to make you happy. Your surgeon cannot predict how you will feel after the implant removal. If you had very poor skin elasticity and a great deal of sag already, I would certainly recommend a lift without question, but based on your description you can probably go with either option.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Lift at the same time risky

+1

I believe is is best to wait especially if the implants where placed on top of the muscle.  Removal and a lift under those circumstances can seriously jeopardize the healing especially concerning the nipple area.  Have the implants removed and wait 3-6 months to see if there is offensive sagging.

Good Luck.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Wait after implant removal for a breast lift

+1

I would have you wait after implant removal to see what you need and want.  Once your implants are removed, the skin will no longer be stretched by the weight of the implants and will gradually shrink..  I would expect 6-12 months to be sure.  You will be surprised how little sagging you have.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Breast Lift Option

+1

There is no right answer.  You can go either way.  In my practice, I would have encouraged you to take them out, wait to see you shape and size, and then decide on new implants if you were not happy.  However that really depends on the amount of sagging that you have.  You plastic surgeon will guide you as to what your best option is.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Breast surgery after implant removal

+1

Even a 270cc implant is about two cup sizes. So, if you had them totally removed, your breasts would definitely sag more than they are now. They were probably put under the muscle and your breasts are probably distorted and misshapen with much fullness above because of the implant under the muscle and your breast tissue below where it has "fallen".

I would always recommend an uplift in your situation but also you should consider replacing the implants and adjusting their location to achieve a more natural result.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

+1

The decision is totally yours.

What are your expectations, desires, wants and so on.

You can have the implants removed, let it heal and decide later if you need a lift, with or without an implant. You have a choice of implants, silicone or saline, and the size.