Unwanted Results from Botox Put in Jaw? (photo)

I received 25 units of botox on each side of my jaw in the masseter for tmj on Dec 5, 2012. I then received a 2nd treatment of 25 units on each side on March 7, 2013. Ever since, my masseters have decreased in size dramatically but the results are unfavorable. I am 23 and the treatments made me look older. My cheeks have dropped and when I smile I look like a cabbage patch kid (for reference) and my face is uneven. Will this go away or is it permanent after two treatments? please help.

Jaw Slimming after Botox for TMJ

+2

Hi Jasmine.  A slimmer jaw or smaller masseter is exactly what we would expect after multiple injections of Botox in the area.  I hope it helped with the TMJ, but if the look is not what you want then feel free to stop at any time.  You will go back to exactly the way you were before the injections within 3-4 months after the last one.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/BotoxInjectionMasseter.aspx

Dont worr

+1

hi, benefits of botox are many.  to some the big problem its that the effect disappears with time. for you at this time its an advantage. its only a matter of time. 

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Jaw Slimming will wear off over time

+1

Thanks for sharing your question.  Botox to the masseter muscles for TMJ issues does produce the expected effect of jaw slimming.  For some, the jaw slimming is the desired effect, and for others like yourself its not.  If this is your first time or two undergoing the injections, you need not worry since it will wear off over time and you should look like you did before within half a year.  However, for some patients, repeated Botox injections for jaw slimming over time will actually have a more lasting effect because the muscle itself starts to atrophy.  This is favorable for these patients who anticipate wanting repeat treatments for jaw slimming for most of their lives.  

Instead, for your TMJ issues, I recommend seeing a dentist who can construct a well-fitted night-guard to place your "bite" into centric position to take the tension off your chewing muscles when you sleep.  He/she will also be able to make other recommendations: jaw relaxation exercises, possible short-term ibuprofen use for acute TMJ pain, etc...

Best of luck to you.

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Don't like results from Botox to jaw

+1

Botox isn't temporary so there is no worry that you have any permanent changes to you jawline. Over the next few months it will wear off and go back to what it was like pre-treatment in December. Remember though that you didn't like what you facial shape looked like then, so perhaps just a lower dosage would be better in the long run (though 25 units is a common, even minimal, amount).

Botox for Masseter muscle for TMJ

+1

Botox is a temporary treatment for TMJ and usually wears off in 3-4 months. I would not worry yourself with the reaction you had to Botox.  

How long does botox last

+1

Botox is NOT permanent. It will go away. For most, it lasts 3-4 months when used in the face. Results can last longer.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox to masseter muscles

+1

Based on your photo's, it's difficult to see both sides of your face and compare. However, Botox is a temporary treatment and over time wears off. Twenty-five units to your masseters is a very low dose for significant reduction.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.