Will Silicone Injections Lead to an Unwanted Migration?

New Beauty Magazine just printed a story that talked about the danger of using silicone for injections. They said that it will migrate and many people have had adverse reactions to it. Now, they were talking about non medical and industrial silicone usage but I wanted to see what the possibility of migration is using it for lip augmentation or the removing of lines? Thanks!

Migration of silicone injections

+1

Silicone and other permanent fillers may migrate after years of subcutaneous presence. I would recommend evaluation by an experience plastic surgeon who can help control the inflammatory cycle associated with silicone injections.

Silikon-1000 may be safely used by experienced physicians for lip augmentation and wrinkle reduction.

+1

Silikon-1000 is a permanent filler, so your results, good or bad, are permanent. You must find a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced with the serial puncture, micro-droplet technique. You should also have a discussion with your doctor about the FDA's position with respect to using Silikon-1000 in an off-label fashion to enhance your lips and soften your wrinkles. Lastly, you should see many before and after photos demonstrating beautiful results before you pick your doctor and proceed.

Complications with well-performed Silikon-1000 injections are infrequent. You could develop a nodule or bump in the area of injection (<2% of procedures). Silicone bumps are treated with dilute triamcinolone injections, or rarely excision.

If any of my colleagues wish to learn more about my experience with Silikon-1000, I am giving an instructional course in Boston at the upcoming Fall Meeting of The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS). The course is titled "Off-Label Applications of Liquid Injectable Silicone (LIS)", and I will be presenting on 9/24/2010 at 4pm. Common conditions treated include: volume replacement, wrinkle reduction, lip enhancement, acne scarring, and correction of many nasal irregularities (“Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty”). I will also be describing the serial puncture, microdroplet technique that is essential for achieving desired results.

I've attached a link to my Silikon-1000 photos for your perusal.

I hope you find this helpful.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon