Unusual Uneven Swelling Appeared 30 Hours After Restylane Lip Filler? (photo)

On Friday I had restylane injected in to my top and bottom lip (0.5ml - had 0.5ml 2 months ago also). I have lip fillers often and sometimes swell, this time is different... I went out Friday night and they were a little puffy, woke up Saturday morning and they were a little puffy, up all day I went for dinner Saturday night and by 11pm the left side of my top lip had a big hard lump, woke up Sunday (now) and the left side is huge and hard. Help. I'm really worried (and go on holiday Wednesday)

See your injector

+1
While swelling is normal, this is unusual since it's quite pronounced. I would recommend you see your injector for an assessment. Best of luck.

Unusual Uneven Swelling Appeared 30 Hours After Restylane Lip Filler?

+1

You need to be examined and followed closely to ensure that there is resolution of this swelling.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling following Restylane treatment

+1

Looking at your photos, you have an unusual amount of swelling following your treatment. In general, the side effects of Restylane may include:

1) Light bruising
2) Swelling
3) Lumps or bumps

I would recommend visiting your provider for an exam before you go on any vacations. It is best to have your lips checked out asap to rule out the possibility of any serious complications that may have arisen. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling? after Restylane

+1

It is unlikely that this is Restylane itself as there looks to be more volume then you would have had injected. I think that there is swelling and maybe bleeding. As the color appears normal I do not think that it is an emergency but I would go back to your provider for  evaluation before vacation.I might take some antiinflammatories and apply warm compresses as at this point this is more likely to be a hematoma then plain swelling. Unless there is blood vessel compromise or fear of that I would not dissolve this yet.  Also, you might consider using some Restylane in your lower lip rather than the upper next time you do this.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Unusual swelling after Restylane

+1

This is a very large lump, especially for only .5ml. I would suggest you not wait, and return to your injector immediately for an evaluation. Do not go on vacation without confirming with a professional what this is. While swelling and bruising with any fillers is normal, the fact that you've had fillers before and never had this, has me concerned.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Bumps after Restylane for Lips

+1

Hi Jenna.  The swelling shown in the picture combined with the description of a hard bump is a bit concerning.  You should have your injector at least evaluate the bumps before you go on Holiday.  While it may very well be something easy to address, you want to make sure when the swelling is that pronounced and it is combined with a hard lump.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Swelling and Lumps after Restylane Lip filler injections

+1

Thanks for your question and photo. It is not uncommon to have temporary swelling after lip injections. More persistent lumps or bumps could be product not massaged into place well enough or a hematoma. Regardless, I suggest you return to your injector for an evaluation and assistance. I hope this was helpful.

Sean T. Doherty, MD, FACS

Restylane and lip treatment

+1

Sounds like you need to see your provider for follow up and discuss with them what to expect. It's not uncommon to have swelling, but the apparent lump can be massaged and/or removed. If you're about to go on holiday, the sooner the better!

Sam Naficy, MD