Is it unusual to have swelling 4 days after lip injections? (Photo)

I had my lips injected with one syringe of juvederm volume 4 days ago. Its my first time ever having had them done and I'm really worried that this is the final result, they are somewhat lumpy and look fuller on one side. Could this just be swelling still it is it more likely that they weren't done very well? If it's not just swelling, what is my best option? Having the filler dissolved or seeing another doctor to have them touched up?

What to expect after lip augmentation with Juvederm

+1
Juvederm tends to take on a little water initially, which usually settles down in 3-4 days but may last up to 2 weeks to fully resolve.  This affinity for water allows it to provide the plumping which gives lips a nice, full look.  

After 2 weeks it will be possible to much more accurately assess where Juvederm needs to be removed or added to your lip to achieve the best result.  

Is it unusual to have swelling 4 days after lip injections?

+1
Swelling is very common after having a filler injected to the lips, it usually takes a full 2 weeks for the product to settle to see your final result. Juvederm Voluma is normally used to help build volume to the mid-face, I would have recommended Juvederm XC for the lips,  Contact your medical provider if more then two weeks past and the issue hasn’t resolved.

Lips can be swollen post op

+1
After volume injections to the lips patients may experience some lip swelling. It is also great to massage the areas to make sure the shape is what you are trying to achieve.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
In the United States, Juvederm Voluma is FDA approved for the treatment of the midface and the injections are performed in deep tissue planes, with the goal of correcting the atrophy of the malar fat pad. It is not indicated for lip injections, as the lips are a highly mobile, muscular area.  Other thinner hyaluronic acid fillers are typically used for lip augmentation, Juvederm Ultra/Ultra Plus and Restylane being the prime examples.  While lip swelling may persist for a week or two, its peak is typically 48 hours post injection.  Though it is early for you to be alarmed, I do notice that your right upper lip is slightly larger than the left and that there is a hint of bumpiness in a few areas.  The good news is that you were injected with a hyaluronic acid - a substance that can be dissolved with a special enzyme called Hyaluronidase.  In addition, a bump of filler, if still present several weeks post injection, can typically be expressed after a small nick is made with a needle. I recommend waiting for another 10 days, and then seeing a dermatologist or an aesthetic surgeon (plastic, oculoplastic, or facial plastic) if you still notice asymmetry and bumpiness.

Good Luck

Tatiana Khrom, MD

Swelling after lip injections

+1
The lips will frequently have significant swelling after filler injections.  This swelling is most noticeable in the first 3 days after the injections, but can last for 1-2 weeks in some people before it resolves completely.  Some patients can swell asymmetrically during this time, especially if there was any bruising, so 4 days may be too early to judge your final outcome.  If there is still a slight asymmetry in the sides of the lip after the swelling resolves, a small amount of filler can be used to touch up and improve your result. A palpable and visible lump can be better treated by dissolving it with some hyaluronidase if it remains after a  few weeks when all the swelling and tenderness has resolved.  me.  Juvederm Ultra is typically used for lip injections, where as Juvederm Voluma is not recommended for use in the lips,  because it is a  thicker filler that is meant to be used in the cheeks and midface.   

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon