Is It Unusual for an Original Surgeon to Do a Revision After a Poor Result?

My surgeon offered to correct,(without charge) a neck lift that I felt had a bad result. Do patients usually allow the same doctor to do revisions? This doctor is board certified, has an accredited surgical suite and a board certified anesthesiologist in his office with 25 years experience. He was recommended to me by 4 people, one of which had a neck lift with a fine outcome. I am comfortable in his office and love his staff.I dont know whether I was just unlucky or neck lifts are not his forte

Very common for the original surgeon to do a revision surgery

+2

It is very common for the original surgeon to do a revision surgery.  Some people like this as they are often done for no additional charge, but others prefer to go to someone new.  it is really up to your preference but if you feel comfortable with this surgeon and he is offering to correct the surgery for no charge that sounds like a good deal to me.  Good luck!

It is quite common that original surgeons do revisions and not other doctors

+2

Most physicians care very much that you obtain a good result from a procedure they do.  Most times, if less than optimal results occur, it is not a result of poor technique of the doctor but they would still want to help you get the result that both you and they would like to see.  Some may charge a facility fee to cover the costs of the material used and nurses' time and some may not charge depending on the procedure.  You could feel free to see a second opinon first and then return to the original surgeon, but it is very common for patients to undergo secondary procedures for improvement by the original surgeon.

Revision surgery

+2

I had an asian professor who used to say "Even monkey fall from tree" By this he meant that no one surgeon has always good results.  No one batter hits only home runs.  Perhaps it will help you to see the surgeon's perspective. When I have a less than Ideal result I always offer to do the revision.  In fact, if the patient goes elsewhere I consider that a failure on my part.  I often revise other colleagues' work and I can tell you that the patients come to me because they've lost confidence in their surgeon.  Unfortunately sometimes the patients have experienced already the failure of a second or more revisions by the original surgeon.  So what I would do in your situation is to accept the free revision but not without seeking a second or third opinion.  Also do your due diligence and find out more about the reputation of your surgeon.  That he volunteered the revision for free says a lot  about your surgeon already.  Some plastic surgeons charge for revisions (I don't know how they stay in business)  The bad surgeons push the unhappy patients away sometimes rudely, they don't want to revise because they don't know how and they are relieved when the patient goes elsewhere.

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

A surgeon willing to revise his own work, when appropriate, is showing integrity

+2

While all surgeons, and all patients, want nothing more than the best results with every procedure, the uncertainties of each individual's tissues, circumstances, healing process, and, frankly, luck, can occasionally yield suboptimal results.

You have identified several reasons to trust your original surgeon with the revision, and your surgeon has apparently agreed that the risks of revision are outweighed by the potential for improvement. While many surgeons might waive their fees but pass along anesthesia or facility fees to you for a revision, he is being generous by absorbing those fees as well.

I think trusting him with the revision is probably the best thing to do!

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Surgery

+2

If you are not completely happy with your results but you are comfortable with your surgeon, it is likely best to have that surgeon do the revisions.  First, economically, the surgeon is offering the revision for free.  Second, that surgeon is the most familiar with your anatomy and the procedure perfromed during the original operation.  

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Neck lift revision by same surgeon......Absolutely

+2

There can be many reasons for  a suboptimal result.   An excellent surgeon, if they are busy, will have complications, but these should be low.  Always ask.  What you have is probably not a true complication, but a result that is suboptimal.  This occurs because of many factors.  Every patient is an individual and each patient has differences in healing and tissue responses.  Facelifts and neck lifts in particular are susceptible to differences in anatomy (such as a low hyoid bone) and tissue differences.  In some patients there can be early relaxation that cannot be predicted. 

if you trust your surgeon, he is open and honest with you, if he is professional and is willing to revise this for you at no charge this is the best possilbe scenario that you can have.  Be open and honest with him/her and disucss why this happened and the plan for improvement that will prevent this from occuring again.  if you are satisfied with the answers then you should proceed.  Good luck. 

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unusual for a Surgeon to Do Revisions? No.

+2

Facial Plastic Surgery is a combination of art and science and a human endeavor. Even great Surgeons get suboptimal results and subsequently perform revisions.  Do great Surgeons have high revision rates?  No, but every Surgeon performs revisions (without exception).

However, you mention several of the factors you should look for in a Surgeon:  proof of good results with your friend, a good reputation, nice office, nice staff, and willingness to discuss your dissatisfaction and offer a solution.  I think you are most likely in the right place.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Facelift

+2

Hi Toadsmom,

It is not unusual for the original surgeon to perform revisions. In fact, I would say it is recommended to have the original surgeon perform the revision since he knows what exactly was performed in the first place. If you are happy with the staff and your overall experience with your surgeon’s practice, it makes sense to return to your original surgeon, especially since several of your friends have had good outcomes. Some patients just require more fine-tuning of their original surgery for various reasons. Perhaps, your anatomy may have been more complicated than your friend’s. Your surgeon seems intent on you being happy with your result (as he should) so it seems reasonable to give him another chance, as long as you have trust in him and his skills.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

Dr. Sunder

Revision after neck lift

+1
This is not uncommon.  Surgeons walk the tightrope of the perfect result vs too tight with distortion.  I would rather have to come back and revise than have a patient who is too tight that I can't relax.  The issue could also be a lack of elasticity of your skin.
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Revision Surgery by the same surgeon

+1

It sounds like your surgeon has the proper credentials and you have confidence in him and like his staff so it would probably be a good idea to allow him to perform your revision surgery.  EVERY surgery has the potential for potential risks and complications and we as surgeons do our best to achieve the patients goals but can never PROMISE perfection.  Communicate clearly with your surgeon as to your concerns.

Best Wishes!

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_facelift.htm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.