Is It Unusual for a Plastic Surgeon to Use Self Absorbing Stitches on a Two Year Olds Face?

Absorbable stitches

+2

I think your plastic surgeon was actually trying to be very thoughtful by using absorbable stitches as you don't need to have them removed which is difficult in a two year old. I am sure he/she was trying to be as considerate as possible. 

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Is it unusual to use self absorbing sutures on the face of a 2 year old?

+1

It is not unusual to use self absorbing sutures on the face of a two year old.  These sutures can be used on children and adults.  The main advantage of using them on a two year old is that the sutures will not need to be removed, which can be difficult to do in a child.  The final result should not be affected by using these types of sutures.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar formation in children after suturing - Los Angeles

+1

Suture choice depends on many factors and both absorbable and permanent sutures are used depending on the type of injury.  The appearance of the scars depends largely on suturing and post op care. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

+1

This does not sound unusual. In most cases, either dissolving or permanent sutures can provide similar results. The benefit of temporary sutures in a two year old is the avoidance of the discomfort of suture removal. I hope this information is helpful. 

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon