Untraumatized Fat Grafts Vs. Liposuctioned Fat for Lips

how does untraumatized fat grafts compare to liposuctioned fat for augmenting the lips? Are there any numbers on how long to expect this procedure to last? Is it worth the money in regard to the results?

Fat injections

+1

Fat that is removed without liposuction for fat injections, is removed by syringe aspiration rather than suction machine aspiration at times. Some studies show that fat from liposuction is ok to use but I prefer fresh fat removed by syringe. I am not thrilled with lip injections as the fat often disappears quickly, but it could make the lips too swollen also. See an expert for this.

Untraumatized fat vs. liposuctioned fat for lip augmentation

+1

Our studies indicate that nontraumatized fascial fat grafts are superior to aspirated fat for lip augmentation.

Aspirated fat has lower initial survival when compared to nontraumatized fat-fascial grafts.  Long term survival from fascial fat grafts is quite high as well, about 75% in our series analyzing 3-D CT scans.

We have presented these results at ASAPS and ASPS meetings and in the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery journal.

Brent Moelleken, MD