I Am Unsure About my Surgeons Preferences in Where to Place Butt Implants- Does It Sound Good?

I have corresponded with a surgeon Im interested in about butt implants and I am unsure about whether this surgeons technique is ideal. The surgeon said that he uses round implants for everyone, and does not shape them as this is the ideal shape for most patients. He says that he places them above or below the muscle on his patients, depending on the patient. He uses a semisolid implant made by AART and performs this surgery 3-5 times a month. Am I in good hands, in your opinion?

Buttock Enhancement, Choosing a Surgeon

+1

I am going to tell you what you may not hear from others.  Currently the only two safe and effective methods for Buttock Augmentation are Autologous Fat Transfer (transfer of your own fat to the buttocks, aka "Brazilian Butt Lift") and Buttock Implants (semi-solid soft silicone rubber implants).  Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.  Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest.  Thus buttock implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice).  I personally recommend either the round or the oval shaped implants dependent upon the natural anatomic shape of the patient's buttock cheeks. The implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle.  In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle.  Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this technique.  Additionally, in this type of surgeons hands the often quoted "high risks" of complications especially infection are actually much lower around 5%.  And finally, advocates of Fat Transfer only may not tell you that there is a risk of fat embolism which can severely effect your lungs and even kill you.  Best of luck...RAS

Butt implants..... How to know if your surgeon is a good choice.

+1

If the surgeon you have chosen can show you lots of pictures of results that you like, you have spoken with some of his patients that are very happy, and he does that many per month, then he may be a good choice. The biggest problem with Butt Implants is the complication rate.  This has been reported to be as high as 20-30%!  That's actually referring to severe complications, causing women who get butt implants to need to have them removed: wound dehiscence (opening up), infection, pain, displacement, rotation or just an unnatural feel or appearance bad enough to make the woman want them out.  
So, most importantly, to be well informed, you need to know how often your surgeon has these complications.  Some surgeons perform this operation with a relatively low occurrence of these problems..... maybe only 5-10 % of patients have problems.  That would be considered good!

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Butt implant

+1

Buttock enhancement by use of implant, you have several options.

the shape of the implant depend on the shape of the buttock you have, the areas of most enhancemnt you want, and your measurements of the buttocks and the general body shape.

Butt implant surgery the last option for buttock enhancement and most of us preffer fat transfer and reshaping of the buttock area with liposuction of the lower back love handles. Then a buttoc implant if there is not enough fat to transfer. no body does 3-5 buttock implants a week in the US.

if you are not comfortable with your surgeon, get a second opinion and the final shape of the implant is determined after examination and discussion with you.

Then you have to decide if the implant is put in the subcutaneous, sub-fascial, or intra-muscular position.

You also have to decise if you need liposuction along with the implant for ideal results.

And decision of the size and shape of the implant.

Where is the most enhancement that you need, want and  dsire.