Unsightly Scar After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty 3 weeks ago and my scar looks red, raised and very obvious. Should I worry about it becoming permanent? My nose and face appears to be getting more and more swollen? Shouldn't it be less and less?

Scars from rhinoplasty

+1

The scar on the columella of the nose from an open rhinoplasty will be quite evident for several months after surgery. It will take six months for that incision to turn from a red line, dark pink to light pink to a fine little white line. Additionally the tip of the nose will remain swollen longer after open rhinoplasty compared to closed rhinoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Scar Healing after Rhinoplasty

+1

You are so early in the healing process. Most rhinoplasty scars heal very well over time and are not an issue.

The swelling may have a lot to do what you are doing and eating. If you are overly active you will have more swelling. If you are eating salty foods you may have more swelling.

At the end when you are about a year out you will have you final result with no more swelling and completely healed scar.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-nose-surgery-rhinoplasty-newport-beach.php

Scars after a rhinoplasty

+1

Scars can take up to a year to mature or finalize. Give your scar some time to heal.

Swelling in the nose can be exacerbated by other factors:

• salty food
  • sunlight
  • thicker skin

There are several ways to help expedite swelling in the nose which includes the following:

• nasal taping at night
  • kenalog injections in the supratip (must be done by an expert to avoid any issues)
  • diet less than 1500 mg sodium daily

Web reference: http://www.shahfacialplastics.com/index-9.html

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Red scar after rhinoplasty

+1

I believe you just commented about your chin & neck after liposuction. These concerns are best managed with the adivce of your surgeon. It is quite normal for the scars to be red for even up to 3-6 months before beginng to settle.

Scar After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Neel,

Best to address your questions to your rhinoplasty surgeon. Skin incisions after rhinoplasty may take weeks to months to settle and return to your normal skin color.

The swelling of the nose does last longer after an open approach rhinoplasty. If your swelling is increasing you need to be evaluated by your surgeon to make sure that you don't have an infection. If there is not infection present, sometimes either oral or injected steroids may speed the resolution of nasal swelling.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Rhinoplasty scar

+1

It's so soon after surgery -- give your body a little time to heal. The scar will look its worst for the next few weeks, and then will start to progressively improve. It can take up to a year for the scar to settle. There's going to be a lot of swelling during this initial period as well, and some parts of your nose may seem more swollen than others at times. Just be patient. If anything seems very unusual to you, or you develop a fever, chills, or other complaints, speak to your surgeon. Good luck, /nsn.