Unsatisfied w/ Breast Augmentation Results. What Can I Do?

I had a breast augmentation done in October.After bringing in pictures to show and explain what I wanted/did not want.I had to being in a new bra and have a stocking filled with rice with the amount of cc's which was 530cc.The doctor contradicted his original professional opinion and told me not to go above 475. After surgery I was immediately worried about size,position later displacement. seen the doctor 3 times since then and he has ignored my complaints saying I have to pay for revise! what can i do?

Unsatisfactory outcome after implants

+1

Without further details it is hard to answer your question. Howvever, I would go over things with your doctor again to see what can be done for you.

Unsatisfactory outcome to breast augmentation surgery

+1

It is not always possible to achieve a desired or predicted result with surgery. You are not made of clay. You are composed of biologic tissues which respond differently to surgical trauma in different individuals. It is in your surgeon's best interests to satisfy you but they cannot always do this for free. Work together to find a resolution.  

Breast augmentation redo

+1

You don't state if your implants are saline or silicone, if they are saline, your surgeon may have meant that you should not have an implant larger than 475cc which can be filled to 525cc without being considered "overfilled".  Many women are disappointed that they did not go larger initially after their surgery, but in most cases your body frame will dictate how large you can go. At this point I would recommend that you wait a few months for your breasts to settle in.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Accurately Predicting Augmented Breasts' Size BEFORE Surgery

+1

Regarding: "Unsatisfied w/ Breast Augmentation Results. What Can I Do?
I had a breast augmentation done in October.After bringing in pictures to show and explain what I wanted/did not want.I had to being in a new bra and have a stocking filled with rice with the amount of cc's which was 530cc.The doctor contradicted his original professional opinion and told me not to go above 475. After surgery I was immediately worried about size,position later displacement. seen the doctor 3 times since then and he has ignored my complaints saying I have to pay for revise! what can i do
?"

I am sorry you are disappointed with your result and agree in general with the comments made by my colleagues.

Your disappointment APPEARS to be based on the COMMUNICATION between you and your surgeon BOTH in how  the augmented breasts would look, what cup size they will fill and under what conditions will a revision be paid by the surgeon as opposed to by you.

Filling bags with rice, in all honesty is a pretty crappy method, of predicting breast size much less appearance. Sizing sessions in which silicone breast implants (of known style and dimensions) are used to stuff unpadded bras are a bit more accurate because of the known dimensions of the implants (as opposed to the amorphous nature of zip lock bags) but they too are not accurate because the implants are placed OVER the breast and not UNDER the breast or under the breast and muscle (giving a flatter breast). Looking at previous augmentation gives you an idea of what appearance is associated with certain implants but is not indicative either of what will happen.

In my opinion, the closest a woman can come to seeing how she would look with a certain type of implants is by a combination of sizing, review of photographs combined with the use of 3D digital images. The leader in the field is Canfield's VECTRA X3 (Google it) a machine which takes 3D photographs of the breasts and using its data bank can closely simulate and demonstrate the appearance of such implants to prospective patients. It is a BEAUTIFUL machine which makes the consultation process much easier. The downside, not many surgeons are willing to spend over 40,000 dollars in a patient education tool (when rice filled zip lock bags cost pennies...).

You are still early in the healing process. You may want to wait 3-5  months before you see the surgeon again and at that time try and work something out.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

A shared understanding of breast aesthetics is important to establish

+1

You and your surgeon need to establish a 'shared understanding' of what you would like your breasts to look like after augmentation. In our clinic- we take a patient's chest measurements, do a private implant sizing session with out RN, and review photos together. This system has allowed us to deliver good results for patients. 

6 weeks after surgery is too early to decide on revision surgery. Wait a while. Unless there was a technical complication with the surgery- its unlikely that an implant replacement for a different size is going to be 'free'.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

After breast augmentation wait 3 to 6 months to see the final result

+1

In our Santa Rosa breast augmentation practice we tell our patients that the final result will not be seen until about 3 to 6 months after surgery.  A good shape, position and look is foremost.  The difference between 475 and 530 cc may seem like a lot, but it is 55 cc, which is just under 2 ounces.  If the size is disappointing at 475 cc, I am not sure that those extra 2 ounces may be why you are dissatisfied.  Visit with him again at 3 months. Most surgeons are reluctant to do a revision before 6 months, because one needs to make sure that the final result is visible and that the changes desired can be achieved.  Try to stay calm and hang in there!

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation results

+1

The best place to start is with your original surgeon.  Write down the specific items that concern you so that all of these issues can be addressed in an organized fashion.  Breast augmentation involves many variables, and the decision to change size may have been based on your tissue characteristics.  If you decide to seek another opinion, be sure to go to a board-certified plastic surgeon.  Be wary of a surgeon who speaks negatively about your initial surgeon; this is unprofessional and unhelpful to you, the patient.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Unsatisfied with breast augmentation

+1

It is nearly impossible to appropriately address your concerns without a face to face consultation.  Seeing your original surgeon is a good start.  When you go in, you need to be very specific about your concerns. Is it size? shape? symmetry? scarring? rippling?  We try our best to answer your concerns.  If it is possible to do something, we will when the timing postoperatively is right.  If we think you need to wait so that swelling can resolve and implants can settle, we will tell you.  Both patient and surgeon can get frustrated if you are not able to articulate what it is exactly that bothers you about your result.  Finally, if you sense that your surgeon does not "get you," then by all means get a second opinion.  

The issue of paying for revisions is upsetting for many.  Oftentimes, the surgeon's fee is negotiable and the facility/anesthesia fees are not.  The facility has to make payroll, heat the place, have lighting, and basically, cover its overhead. The facility will not give away OR time no matter who is "at fault," or even if no one is at fault.  This dynamic may/may not have been explained to you beforehand.  I hope that this helps. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon