Unnatural results after sill incisions?

I had an open rhinoplasty three months ago to deproject my tip. My surgeon also performed sill incisions to reduce alar flare. While I am happy with the deprojection and the overall shape of my nose, the deep, noticeable notches that have resulted from the alar reduction concern me. My nostrils were perfectly round before, whereas now they have a severe "tear drop" shape. What can be done about this?

Nostril sill notching

+1
You should be able to revise the nostril sills for a smoother border. The shape of the nostril openings themselves would not be a lot rounder and it may well have too make negative tradeoffs to even attempt to make them "rounder".

Nostrils

+1
anonguy2013, I prefer not to do alar rim surgery at the time of the rhinoplasty but that is water under the bridge and not all plastic specialists agree with this approach. YOu will simply need to go back to your MD and get this revised. I would wait a minimum of 6 months. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril shape

+1
Hello.
Sounds like you have waited the right amount of time.
You should voice your concerns to your rhinoplasty surgeon.
If you are not happy with the answer he gives you, try talking to one or two rhinoplasty surgeons to get their take on the situation.
Good luck.

Marcelo Ghersi, MD