Unnatural Results After Radiesse in Smile Lines

I had Radiesse in my smile lines and it is too full and looks very unnatural. I would like it to be dissolved as soon as possible. Is there anything I can do about this?

I would wait

+1

I agree with the other doctors on waiting. I don't like the steroid option, because even in experienced hands, atrophy, depigmentation, and loss of tissue support can exacerbate the problem. Not to mention there is additional expense and recovery.

Radiesse stays around for a long time, but will eventually soften. Effects of steroids may be permanent. I know it is tough to look at presently, but you could make it worse.

sek

Radiesse is best reserved for volume enhancement

+1

Fine lines such as smile lines are best treated with Juvederm or Prevele Silk, both of which are hyaluronic acids of different densities. Radiesse is best used in my opinion for volume enhancement (cheeks, hands) or deep folds such as the nasolabial folds. I do not know of any way to hasten its absorption safely.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Getting rid of Radiesse!!!

+1

Dear Candy in hiding

Yes, you can soften and hasten the removal of Radiesse. This can be done with deep injections of a steroid like Kenalog. This is very effective to remove the radiesse. This has to be done by someone with experience and with a warning that you can have atrophy or thinning of the overlying skin if not done correctly. It can be repeated at 3 week intervals.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Radiesse has two major components; one will soften by 3 months.

+1

Unlike the hyaluronic products (restylane, juvederm, perlane, hylaform, captique, etc), there is no injectable material which can be used to safely dissolve Radiesse. Radiesse is composed of two primary substances: carboxymethylcellulose (similar to eye lubricants) and calcium hydroxyapatite. Steroids have been used to lessen the inflammatory response but if over injected can result in atrophy of the area.

We'll abbreviate the former as CMC. CMC is added to the calcium, initially in powder form, to make it a paste like substance and tranform it into an injectable material. The CMC tends to take about 3 months to absorb. Some people think that the Radiesse loses its effects at this time but that it due to the breakdown of the CMC which makes the area less frim and more supple.

It is my generaly feeling that you will experience this softening around 3 months. Avoid any rash decisions or interventions which could result in a worse condition.

Only Time Will Help

+1

I agree with Dr. Rand. Radiesse is good for the very top of the nasolabial fold around the nose. Here it can be injected deep, by the bone. If necessary a hyaluronic filler can be layered on top of the radiesse then continued down the fold. Radiesse is not the ideal filler for the nasolabial lines. Unfortunately, it will take many months to dissolve.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Restylane is best for smile lines

+1

The HA fillers, Restylane and Juvederm are the best ones for smile lines.  Radiesse is best for deeper volume enhancement and not good for lines in the skin.  I am not aware of any way to hasten its resolution unfortunately.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS