Unnatural Nose Tip After Revision Rhinoplasty?

Please I need some guidance, because I have unresolved swelling in the tip of my nose from my Revision Rhinoplasty. It's worse in the morning.

In cold weather, it's sort of okay. I just have a pea-sized bump on the one side of my nose tip. At it's worst, the lower part of my nose feels inflated, prominent and very unnatural. Thanks for reading this (excuse my poor grammar).

from Gareth

Swelling in the nasal tip after revision rhinoplasty

+3

In my experience, the use of external ('open') or intranasal ('closed') is not the major issue--in fact, some intranasal rhinoplasty procedures can be quite invasive and result in significant swelling.

I do not see in your question how long it has been since your surgery. After a revision, nasal swelling (especially in the tip) may be persistent for 12-18 months, and will vary with the degree of surgery performed, nasal skin thickness, etc. The swelling may wax and wane during this time. Make sure to communicate to your surgeon your concerns, and be seen if the swelling flares up and does not recede, or becomes red or painful.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Sam Most

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Swelling

+2

It is normal to have swelling for several months after surgery, especially when it is a revision rhinoplasty. If the swelling is worse in the morning, try sleeping  with your head slightly elevated on two pillows. 

Swelling After Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Following Rhinoplasty, the nasal skin and soft tissue envelope are invariably swollen. The amount of swelling (also called edema) can vary depending on several factors. One factor is the technique of the surgeon and whether the Rhinoplasty was performed "open" versus "closed".

Revision rhinoplasty patients typically have more pronounced swelling that also persists longer than primary rhinoplasty patients.

Some patients experience transient swelling after rhinoplasty with activities such as exercise, sun exposure, and alcohol consumption. Fortunately, the effect of these variables usually decreases over the first several months.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unresolved swelling in the nasal tip

+1

After a revision rhinoplasty, patients should anticipate a prolonged recovery process which can include significant swelling. Be sure that you're getting your nose plenty of time to heal. If you continue to feel that you have excess swelling in this area, consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon as they can assess your nose and your tissue and determine if you benefit from a small revision where cartilage may be removed or repositioned in this area.

Pat Pazmino, MD