How Many Units of Dysport Should Be Given for Lines Between Eyes and Horizontal?

I am 44 and have vertical and horizontal lines on forehead. I did a Groupon for 40 units of Dysport and the Doctor told me it was not enough. So I paid to double it and he wrote down that I had 50 units. How much should I have had? He said I could go back for touch up in 2 weeks, but now I think I didn't have to pay for the extra!

Dysport between the brows

+1

It is recommended that the glabella (the area between the brows) should be treated with 60 units of Dysport.  The amount of Dysport for the forehead lines varies.  

Dysport Units for Lines Between the Eyes and Horizontal Forehead Lines

+1

40 units of Dysport is a pretty small dose. The usually conservative manufacturer recommendations for just between the eyes (not including the forehead) is 50 units but in our experience people often need a bit more in that area alone. I usually treat the horizontal forehead lines conservatively for a variety of reasons. I think that 50 total was probably a reasonable start.

The only questionable thing that I see is offering a Groupon for 40 units in the first place, since it's likely that the practitioner would know that most people would need more. Bait and switch? Be wary of deep discounts. Cheaper does not mean better. It pays to go see an experienced, board-certified injector who might cost more.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Variables on dysport

+1

The only determining factor here is, how big is your forehead? Without seeing you, it is impossible for me to determine how many units to use. If you had a normal size forehead, I would typically use approximately 25 units for the forehead, and 25 units on the glabella ( your 11 lines in-between your eyes). I hope this helps a little

Jeffrey Adelglass, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport dosage

+1

Greetings~

40 units of Dysport isn't much.  Typically, the vertical lines between the brows (glabella) requires between 60 and 75 units. For some 50 units may be sufficient but it's doubtful that you would see much results with 40 or that they would last very long.  The horizontal forehead lines can vary greatly. (starting around 15 units and maybe up to 60).  With 80 units you could potentially treat the horizontal and vertical lines but it would be difficult to say for certain without seeing you.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens 

Grant Stevens, MD

Dysport in the Glabella

+1

My experience with Dysport in the glabella is that 50-60 units is sufficient.  I would recommend that you choose your Dysport injector with other methods than Groupon.  The deep discounting (or actually paying out of pocket) method of recruiting patients is new and controversial.  Since Facial Plastic Surgery does not lend itself well to the "high volume" model of seeing patients, I would recommend that you seek out your Doctor via word of mouth in the future.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport Dose for Forehead?

+1

Hi Silly.  The 40 units you purchased would not be enough for the glabella, the area between the eyes.  We typically does the glabella at 60 units.  The horizontal forehead lines would need an additional 30-45 units (our estimate based on the photo.

It's likely that if you stuck with the 50 units for glabella that your duration would have been a little light, maybe just 3 months.  In addition, if he used the 50 units between the two areas, you will probably be unsatisfied with the outcome as this is not enough product.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

How to Know if You Got Enough Dysport

+1

Unfortunately without personally evaluating you I cannot say how much Dysport would be recommended.

For the majority of patients 50-60 units adequately injected into the glabellar muscles and 35-50 into the forehead are required to minimize their movement sufficiently.  In our San Francisco Bay Area practice we have patients with few to no visible frown lines at rest that use Dysport (or Botox) preventatively and do very well with 40 units (16 units). We also have patients that like to still have a little movement of their muscles that can be achieved with fewer units as well as placement of the product within the muscle.

Botox and Dysport can each take up to two weeks to take effect so most injectors will have you wait until then to determine if you require additional treatment.  The amount of movement of the muscles, not the appearance of lines at rest will determine if you would benefit from additional Dysport. If you have not heard from your provider and are unhappy getting in touch with them is the best thing to do. 

For finding board certified plastic surgery and dermatology offices that are offering competitive deals in your area I recommend the Venus Injectables app for the iPhone. Not only does it help you locate high quality injectors but it also allows you to track your treatments, allowing you manage exactly what you have injected each visit.

Steven H. Williams, MD

You didn't get enough, pure and simple

+1

For the glabella, which is the area between your brows, I usually use about 55-70 units alone. For a full treatment of the glabella, forehead, crow's feet, and for a small brow lift, I use 150 units. 40 units or even 50 units to both of the areas you had treated simply isn't enough to have a good effect. I'm unsure how if you paid to "double it" you ended up only getting 10 units more than the Groupon's 40 units, but I'd say some funny math is going on.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Dysport to forehead and area between eyes

+1

Not much can be done with 40 units of dysport for anything or anyone. Not surprising that that is sold as a groupon. Get a deal on 40 units, go in, pay for the rest. Nobody that is good at this is giving it away as it is expensive to buy. Groupons that involve use of expensive materials need to be looked at carefully. First , make sure a doctor doing the injecting, second, make sure that they are experienced at this. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Standard doses of Dysport

+1

My standard dose of Dysport for the lines between the eyes is almost always 50 to 70 units and this has been quite effective. Horizontal forehead lines usually require between 30 to 50 units, depending on the size of the forehead. For a first time patient, I usually recommend starting with one area to see how things respond before going on to treat multiple areas.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon