How Many Units for Aesthetic Jaw Botox?

I have been recommended jaw botox to reduce my chronic pain. I am also pleased to hear it will reduce the size of my jaw muscles aesthetically, but I would like to know how much would usually be administered for an aesthetic effect?

Botox or Dysport for large jaw muscles (masseter)

I also tend to use 25 units of Botox per masseter per side (50 total). I tend to use about 60 unites of Dysport per side.

Treating the jaw or masseter muscle with botox

I typically use anywhere from 20-25 units per side. Its rare you need much more than this. 

James P. Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Head and Neck Surgery
practicing in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Assistant Professor, University of Ottawa
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox may reduce masseter muscle mass in cheek

Your photo shows fat depression in the outer cheek. Before you try to reduce the mass of the chewing muscle, you should get another opinion as fillers may help raise the depressions in the outer cheek making a smoother and more harmonious contour.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Jaw reduction with Botox

If there is specific masseter hypertrophy, then Botox may be a good way to soften the wide jaw.  Usually I use about 20-25 units/side. But this has to be repeated every 3-4 months.