Medpor for Revision Rhinoplasty?

I need to have a second revision surgery for valve collapse and my surgeon wants to use medpor to fix my breathing as I don't have any ear or septum cartilage left. I am concerned as I have read very negative reviews about medpor (re:infection and difficulty with removing it if necessary). Would you recommend use of medpor in these circumstances? Also if the implant worsens or does not improve my breathing would it be possible to remove it? If so, how long shouldI wait before getting it removed?

Medpor for Revision Rhinoplaasty

+1

Over the past 35 years I have avoided the use of Medpor because of the possible  complications you mention. If there is not adequate septal or ear cartilage I recommend that you consider the use of rib cartilage.

Medpor implant

+1

This is a continuous topic of discussion. While many surgeons (myself included) prefer to use only cartilage for the reasons you have stated, there is a lot of literature supporting the use of medpor. Some surgeons have good experience with this and other alloplasts and use them routinely. I think it is fair to say that there is complete agreement that you would be accepting a higher risk of possible infection, extrusion and need for additional surgery if you choose this option.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

When there is no septal cartilage or ear cartilage available, then rib cartilage graft is superior to any other.

Medor Implants

+1

Hi,

I would stay away from Medpor implants. They are hard and very difficult to remove if they get infected. If you really have no septal or ear cartilage left you can use rib cartilage. However, Ive always been able to find some ear or septal cartilage on revision cases.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com

Medpor or Rib for Valve Collapse

+1

A small rib graft can be taken if you have no ear or septal cartilage left and you are uncomfortable with Medpor.

Medpor - not my favorite choice

+1

I have to say that of all the medical devices out there, medpor in the nose is one of my least favorite.  Medpor is a good device for certain applications, but the nose is not one of them.  See if he won't use autogenous tissue (rib or ear cartilage.  Good luck!