Do Polyurethane Implants Drop?

I had 315cc sub pectoral polyurethane implants 3 weeks ago and since week two one nipple is a little lower than the other and the same breast appears a little smaller. Is this due to settling and do polyurethane implants drop? I rang my surgeons clinc and was put through to the clinical nurse she didn't ask they type of implant I had but said it was just settling and it will be fine.

Do Polyurethane Implants Drop?

+1

Thank you for your question. Implants go through a period of adjustment, and "settling" as the muscle relaxes, and the capsule forms around the implant. If your are right hand dominant, there may be a delay in "dropping into the pocket" due to more activity with the muscle. Increased activity on the dominant side creates asymmetry in healing, and swelling. After 6-8 weeks, they are getting closer in healing, and should look more normal. Avoid too much activity, and they should heal without incident. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Polyurethane implants and settling down

+1

Kitkat:  Polyurethane implants haven't been available here is The States for around 20 years, but I had a good deal of experience with them in the 80's and early 90's with the Memes.  Basically all submuscular implants "settle."  This is due to the lower muscle gradually stretching, compressing the lower half of the implants less.  I call it the "seesaw effect" because initially the upper muscle will allow the upper half of the implant to bulge while the lower part is compressed, then reverses as the lower muscle stretches.  The implant does not really get pushed upward, especially when there is a textured surface such as with the polyurethanes.  You may be seeing a larger version of some preop asymmetry or this upper fullness and/or tight muscle may be causing the apparent asymmetry you see now.  This is so early, it isn't necessarily your final result.

Myles Goldflies, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon