What's Wrong with my Implant? (photo)

I had breast augmentation almost 2 years ago using 340cc implants under muscle. A different surgeon has examine me as I now want re augmentation and said he believes something happened in surgery that caused the muscle to be pushed up.... Therefore leaving one breast with an indentation. He told me to go back to my surgeon. My original surgeon says it's just rippling??? It looks a mess.... What is it really??? It is clearly visible on photos which I've added. Please help???

What's Wrong with my Implant?

+2

Although I can see the indentation, at a minimum proper photos showing the entire breast (both of them) would be needed to assess this, and even with those, chances are an in person exam will be needed to sort out the possibilities, which include among other things both suggestions you have already heard. That would be an unusual place for a solitary ripple. Please consider reposting this question with better photos. Sample photos are probably visible to the right in the feature doctors section.

Best wishes

Breast Implant Indentation

+1

After reviewing your photo, I can clearly see the indentation along the medial aspect of your left breast. It appears to be the edge of your pectoralis muscle which is more apparent when you engage or contract the muscle. This is usually a more visible problem in thinner women such as yourself. There are surgical ways to correct this problem including further release of the muscle, breast implant exchange, fat grafting, and/or placement of acellular dermal matrix. I suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to see which of the options I mentioned would be best for you.

Hope this helps.

R. Michael Koch, MD
Tarrytown Plastic Surgeon

What's Wrong with my Implant?

+1

You have muscle edge show. I recommend fat grafts to are to alleviate this issue. But best to see your surgeon to discuss options.//

Implant revision

+1

The muscle seems to be showing its contraction more than it should in your breast tissue. This can be corrected in a variety of ways. If it’s rippling from the implant or contraction use of acellular dermis to camouflage the implant could help. It may be that just capsular adjustment and implant replacement would do the trick. Your photo is difficult because it’s clearly an abnormal pose and in a swimsuit. I would recommend visiting with a few PS and seeing what each recommends and choose the plan you feel best fits your goals.

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

What's Wrong with my Implant?

+1

This could be a problem with scar tissue or inadequate muscle release. As stated below, if it presents or worsens with muscle contraction, it is likely muscle related. Additional muscle release, implant exchange, and placement of acellular dermal matrix are all possibilities to correct the problem.

Donald Griffin, MD

Capsule versus muscle as the source

+1

Dear Leanne,

There are a few possible sources for the indentation that can be visible in the photo.  The bottom edge of the muscle is one option, your breast implant capsule is the other.  If the indentation worsens with muscle contraction then the muscle is certainly part of it.  A thorough examination will be needed to determine what the source is and what needs to be done to fix it.

Dr. Remus Repta 

Remus Repta, MD

Problems with Implants after 2 Years

+1

This is a difficult question to answer without an exam.  It appears from your photo that you have a scar band. It that is the case, you may benefit from a procedure to remove, or cut the scar band.  Discuss your options with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Problems with implants after 2 years

+1

This is a difficult question to answer without an exam. If this is a problem with a muscular issue, things will look worse or better with flexion or contraction of the pectoralis muscle. If the pectoralis muscle was over-dissected and no longer has the attachments to the sternum (breast bone), it might be a difficult issue to correct. Even though I really do not like implants placed in the subglandular position, moving your implants to an above-muscle position might make things look better. If the problem is rippling and thinning of your skin over the implant, moving the implant closer to the skin would be the worst thing to do. You really need to see a well respected, board certified plastic surgeon to do a thorough exam and determine what the issue is. Wish I could be more help.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon