I'm worried that I might have tubular breasts. Do I? Will this complicate things if I have a breast enlargement? (Photo)

Hi, I am looking to have a breast enlargement and have been looking online and am worried I may have some hallmarks of tubular breasts , will this make surgery more complex?

I'm worried that I might have tubular breasts. Do I? Will this complicate things if I have a breast enlargement?

+2
Thank you for the question and picture. I do not think that you need to worry about having constricted/tuberous breasts. You do however have some breast ptosis and may benefit from some degree of breast lifting.  Best to achieve your long-term stable weight, if you are not all ready there. Then, select your plastic surgeon carefully ( ask to see lots of examples of his/her work) and communicate your goals carefully. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation/lifting procedures, helpful to you. Best wishes.

If you do not have tuberous breasts

+1
.  Fortunately you do not have tuberous breasts.  However you do have breast ptosis or sagging of the nipple areola below the inframammary crease.Because of the ptosis You will need a breast lift in addition to breast implants.

For more information on breast augmentation with breast lift please read the following link:

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Do I have "tubular breasts"

+1
I try to stay away from using some of these traditional plastic surgery labels ( such as "dog ears"," lop ears" "bat wings"), which often  make patients feel stigmatized and worse. Breast with a tight  or narrow base describes this adequately and is easy to understand once explained.

You will see when you look at your breasts that the distance from the pigmented area around your nipples ( the areolae) to the fold is short and that your breast are narrow from side to side. 

Treatment by simply placing an implant may result in an number of residual shape issues which may leave you dissatisfied. It depends on what you are looking for as an outcome and how much surgery you would consider worth undertaking to achieve as close to your ideal as you need. Some patients are happy to simply fill out their bra and clothing more completely and do not care if their shape is not ideal; for them, placing implants to expand the breasts and fill them out may be enough, especially, as in your case, there isn't much breast volume to begin. 

For other patients, internal relaxing incisions to divide the tight fibrous tissue causing the constriction, with or without a variation of a breast lift type of procedure with the associated incisions and scars, may be needed.

A good plastic surgery consultation will outline all the possible options, including starting simply and staging this  in several procedures which is certainly one way to go.

Benjamin Gelfant, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

+1
Your breasts have some lower central constriction.   This would be considered very mild (grade 1)  tubular breasts.  This is extremely common and most surgeons would have make only minor adjustments during surgery to accomodate.  The major challenge that we face with your breast augmentation is a very deflated skin envelope.   Only an in person exam with a board certified surgeon would be able to determine if augmentation, dual plane augmentation, or augmentation/ lift will be needed.  Good luck and congratulations on your weight loss!

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and Areolar reduction

+1
Thank you for your question and posting the picture. You do not have classic signs of tuberous breast deformity. You seem to be a good candidate for breast augmentation, however, may benefit from a breast lift and areolar reduction which is typically done with a scar around the areola only. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon with expertise in this procedure. Breast of luck.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS