Thin and Shallow Nasolabial Folds, I'm Only 22? (photo)

I have had them since I can remember even noticing (around 18), but it has become increasingly more of a self-conscious issue. The problem is its stopping me from laughing or smiling since I know that afterwards I will be left with slight creases. I feel it makes me look older than I am. On the flip side, I feel it isn't a VERY big problem, therefore I don't want to take the risk of it being worse if it is a tricky/often-done-wrong type procedure to fix. Please advise??

Thin and shallow nasolabial folds at age 22

+2

You are kind of young to start with fillers at your age.

I would suggest that you have a thorough examination by an Internist, to make sure that you are in good health.

If you are in good health, I would recommend a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane, to start with. It is a non permanent filler. It will last 4 to 6 months and if you like the results, you can have it repeated several times.

Later on you may want to use  fillers with a more prolonged effect, such as Sculptra (Polylactic acid) or Radiesse (Calcium Hydroxyapatite).

Chicago Dermatologist

Nasolabial folds

+2

The best thing for shallow nasolabial folds is to use a soft injectable filler that is made of hyaluronic acid. I would suggest trying Juvederm or Restylane injected by someone who has a lot of experience with injectable treatments.

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler and Skin Care

+2

I wouldn't say this is a problem for you yet.  It is natural to have these lines to a certain extent and when filled you can run the risk of it looking a little artificial.  That being said if you feel that it is causing you concerned you may try having the area filled with an HA like Juvederm or Belotero.  Another thought would be a good skin care regimen including a Retinol or Retin-A, which will help with fine lines.

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers into NLF

+2

Firstly, I think that you look fine and unless this really bothers you it is not anything that anyone else notices and it does not make you look old. If it does bother you you can have a small amount of a HA filler such as Restylane ,Belotero of Juvederm injected here. It is not permanent so if you don't like it don't do it again.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Shallow nasal folds

+2

Because of the awareness of aging and plastic surgery in general in today's culture, people are becoming more self critical about minor and early signs of aging. It is normal to have some fold present (especially when smiling). You can have a small amount of filler injected into the area, but I would caution you against using a whole syringe of filler. There are fillers that come in smaller sized syringes, and that may be a good option for you. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Thin and shallow nasolabial folds

+2

Botox isn't injected into the nasolabial folds, unless you don't want to talk, eat, drink, or move your mouth. Fillers like Restylane or Juvederm can be injected into the NLF lines to help fill lines and creases. To say the least, you have minor lines. I would not recommend you do a darned thing and should smile/laugh! But if you do want to treat these, you want to find an expert injector for fillers, not Botox.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Treatment of nasolabial creases

+2

I would agree that your nasolabial creases are not a big problem, but if they bother you, it may be worth trying something to see if it helps.  I would recommend trying a hyaluronic acid filler, like Restylane, Juvederm or Belotero.  These products can be injected under the creases to help lessen their appearance.  The result would last several months, but if you didn't like the effect for some reason, your appearance would return back to how it is now after the product dissolves over time.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thin and Shallow Nasolabial Folds, I'm Only 22?

+1

Juvederm or Restylane would help soften the nasolabial folds, seek a reputable injector to ensure a result you wish you achieve

Nasal labial grooves

+1

Unfortunately, your smile muscles attach to your skin at the bottom of your groove along a very fine line. Over the years it will act like to bow of a ship progressive getting deep and deeper. Injectable fillers like Juvederm or Voluma would be an ideal treatment to soften the depth of your groove.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon