Would it be possible to have Otoplasty to create Antihelix fold without pinning the ear back?

I have equally protruding ears on both sides but for different reasons: -The right has a larger concha. -The left has no anti-helix fold I would like the left ear to have an antihelix introduced, I DO NOT want it moved closer to the head. Then to have concha of right ear brought in to match the left ear with the fold. This would leave my ears still a prominent compared to the post otoplasty photos I've seen (but this is what I would I want.) Is this possible?

Would it be possible to have otoplasty to create anti helix without pinning the ear back?

+1
Yes. Different maneuvers are used to create the anti helical fold and to "pin the ear back". Each maneuver is not performed in every case. 

Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty to recreate the anti helical fold only

+1
There are 2 components to a otoplasty procedure. These are re-creating the anti helical fold and pinning the conchal bowl back to the mastoid fascia. Either one of these can be performed independently or together for the otoplasty procedure.

Pinning ears back?

+1
  • Creating an anthelix will make the ear closer to the side of the head as will reducing the concha on the other side. If the ears are asymmetrical now they probably will be after the surgery, but with improvement. Leave it the aesthetic sense of you surgeon to determine how close they will be.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Otoplasty and concerns

+1
You can certainly have those issues corrected but in some bending to create the antihelical fold or some removal of the conchal of the opposite ear, the ear will setback somewhat in different ways.

+1
Typically, these types of changes can be performed and are routinely done to remedy asymmetries in the ears. The amount of fold or setback can be tailored to the shape and size of your ears and the changes that you're looking to achieve. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty to create an anti-helical fold is possible without touching the Concha.

+1
Otoplasty to create an anti-helical fold is possible without touching the Concha. Convey your desires to the surgeon to make sure you were both on the same page with what surgery needs to be done for your goals.