How can I know if my surgeon picked the right implants for my tuberous breasts? My surgery is in 4 days (photo)

Hi, I have tuberous breasts and had a consultation with my surgeon last week. He recommended 410cc high profile smooth silicone implants over the muscle. I trusted his opinion and booked surgery which is in 4 days! However after researching more I have read that tuberous breasts need a lift etc which my surgeon never mentioned, also I have very wide cleavage and am now wondering if high profile will make the cleavage look worse :( I am hoping to achieve a full d cup. Thanks in advance :)

Tuberous breast deformity and options for correction

+1
Hello and thanks for your question.
The tuberous breast augmentaion is different than a simple breast augmentation.
In tuberous breast deformity, the correction involves:
- Breast augmentaion
- reduction of the areola size
- cicumferential release of beast tissue inside

You have many option but the key is careful examination of your desires and anatomy and careful selection of breast implants.
Best Wishes,
Dr Sajjadian

How do I know my surgeon chose the right implants? (PHOTO)

+1
Thank you very much for your enquiry. When you say 410cc high profile smooth silicone implants it is important to be clear about the exact type and make of implant they are using. This is because a 410 is a type of implant made by Allergan. The 410 in this case does not refer to the cc size of the implants but refers to the design and type of implant.

Obviously as you will understand, the best type of implant does depend a little bit on your physique and you could have the implant placed either in front or behind the muscle, however it is important that the implant is placed so that it stretches the lower part of your breast correcting the tuberous element to the bottom and also is wide enough to give you a good cleavage.

It might be worth having a look at our website: aurora-clinics.co.uk which has pictures of patients similar to you before and after surgery.

I wish you the best of luck when you decide to go ahead with surgery.

Best wishes

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

+1
There are varying degrees of tuberous breasts and many approaches to the problem. Often implants without lift can provide an excellent result.  Your cleavage will generally be close to what it is now only deeper, but it is rarely made worse (wider). Your questions are good and should be raised with your plastic surgery prior to surgery.

Richard L. Zeff, MD
Portsmouth Plastic Surgeon

How can I know if my surgeon picked the right implants for my tuberous breasts? My surgery is in 4 days

+1

Hi and thanks for your question. The tuberous breast needs to be approached very differently than a simple breast augmentation. Unless correction of the constricting bands, reduction of the over protruding areola with release of the breats tissue all around, the deformity will not be corrected. I would also caution you against the placement of a subglandular ( in front of the muscle ) breast implant. Youe tuberous deformity is not significant, however, if the breast tissue is indeed released circumferentially and the areola reduced in diameter, you may experience problems with healing of the nipple and areola.

Cosmtic surgery will affect you for the rest of your life. You might want to get asecond opinion. Goodluck

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

Right breast implants for 2 breasts breasts

+1
Thank you for your question.  Fortunately you do not have severe tuberous breast therefore a breast augmentation alone without a lift should give you a very nice result.

There are many advantages to having your breast implants placed beneath the chest muscle.  In a patient like you with minimal constriction a dual plane breast augmentation with release of  constricting bands and placement of the implant beneath the muscle may be possible.

I agree that you should not rush into this.  You want to have results that you will be happy with and you will be living with them for a long time.  It may be wise to seek a second consultation with another board certified plastic surgeon so that you have more than one opinion to choose from.

For more information on tuberous breast please read the following link:

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Confident before surgery

+1
Patients should feel comfortable and confident about all the decisions made prior to surgery.  Correction of tuberous breast is a complex operation.  It seems as though you are rushing an important decision.  Regardless, if you have questions you should call your surgeon's office and perhaps arrange for a follow up consultation.

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Yes, I think your breasts do demonstrate some of the qualities seen with tuberous (constricted) breasts.

Some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy" and areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).  

Generally,  correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

In your case, I would suggest that you spend additional time with your plastic surgeon prior to proceeding. Make sure that he can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.  Learn about the pros/cons associate with breast implants placed below verses on top of the pectoralis major muscle. It will also be important that you communicate your goals carefully. If still in doubt, postpone surgery and seek additional consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.  I hope this,  and the attached link (dedicated to tuberous/constricted breast concerns) helps.