Ask a doctor

I have a hypertrophic scar bellow my stomach, just on top of my vagina after liposuction.

Steroid injections didn't work so we opted for a scar revision. A year later and the scar it raised still and red/purple. I'm not sure wethere to try another scar revision or laser. Is there anything you can recommend?

Doctor Answers (2)

Laser Treatment for Scars

There are many treatments for scars but wed have to see a picture to give an accurate recommendation.  Most patients who have red scars have a combination of lasers including pulsed dye or Excel V and Fraxel.  I always have my patients use silicone gel (Biocorneum) to help improve the texture.   Pictures would help or a formal consult with a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon who specializes in scar treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

Hypertrophic scars

Our office specializes in scar revision. For hypertrophic scars, we would recommend application of Plato's Scar Serum; followed by application of IIT, pulsed dye laser, and topical therapy. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.