Is a full Tummy Tuck the best option to treat wide divarification/diastasis of recti with small umbilical hernia?

I am a petite 36 year old woman & I have a wide divarification of recti and small umbilical hernia after two babies. I have seen 2 general surgeons who offered to fix the hernia using mesh, one also suggested I could have a TT after to remove my loose skin. I then saw a cosmetic surgeon who felt my condition was not cosmetic and should be dealt with by a general surgeon. He also said that I was in the minority as I do not have a lot of loose skin. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tummy Tuck best option

+3
Thank you for your question. It is hard to ascertain, but this can be treated with a mini tummy tuck carried out endoscopically – referred to as endoscopic diastasis repair. A small incision is made in the supra pubic area (where a c-section incision is performed). Your suitability for this procedure can only be confirmed after a clinic consultation/examination.

London Plastic Surgeon

Lateral tension abdominoplasty

+3
Thank you for your question, although it would be best if you could be assessed by posting pictures, based on your description you seem to be a good candidate for a lateral tension abdominoplasty tummy tuck procedure. In this procedure your disstasis recti or the separation in between the rectus muscles will be repaired in addition to your umbilical hernia without a need of an mesh. I perform this procedure on patients from the UK understanding that they would need to stay locally in New York for two weeks.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

+2

Thank you for the question. It is difficult to give you specific advice without viewing pictures or without physical examination. Having said that, most patients who have had pregnancies and/or significantly gain/loss benefit from full tummy tuck operation.  Most patients who undergo this procedure after pregnancies and/or weight gain/loss, benefit from re approximation of the abdominal wall muscles  as well as from excision of the excess skin/adipose tissue. Liposuction surgery is often utilized as well.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is medically/psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  does not smoke, is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.    Best wishes.  

+1
Pictures or an exam would be helpful in this assessment.

Los Angeles, CA...........

Diastasis and umbilical hernia repair are a common accompaniment of an abdominoplasty.

+1
From the description it sounds as though a full abdominoplasty would be the best choice. It would permit complete Repair of the abdominal wall and allow removal of excess fat in skin.